First off: my bed! This is a view of my bed and the room if I'm standing where R2-D2 usually stands, which is right at the head of my bed. The bed is a Tempur-Pedic and really comfy, and I have my memory foam pillow and my own sheets on the bed - it's like sleeping on a cloud.
Here's a view of the nurse's station from the front door of the unit (I'm in unit 5A, and yes, we're better than 5B, 5C, and 5D).

Here's Dad sitting at the window in his lovely mask and UConn sweatshirt. And um, yeah, that's my "commode" in front of the table (because where else would you put a toilet?!), and my knee as I shot the photo from the bed. That's the door to my private bathroom behind Dad (and it's for patient use only, so I find it quite luxurious).

This is Neutrophil. I haven't bothered to read his shpiel up on the board (I should), but he's cute nonetheless.

Here's a view of the hallway leading down to my door - the pantry is on the left (they have good stuff in there, ice cream, soda, popsicles, etc. We can also store our own food in there (which I'll hopefully have myself after Gus makes a Whole Foods run tomorrow).


Just because it tickled me - I was so stoked last night because I ordered a bagel for breakfast, and this big black plate with a big black dome is on the tray, and I run over (or kinda roll over with R2) to the table to open it up and:
Please notice the ratio of the cream cheese container to the actual "bagel". Gotta love the "garnish" of the poor shrunken orange slice.
Please notice the ratio of the cream cheese container to the actual "bagel". Gotta love the "garnish" of the poor shrunken orange slice.This is probably bad karma but I can't help it - this is my neighbor's door:

Hokey dokie - I've got like, 10 more photos to upload and I had planned on doing that today, but Benadryl and Ambien are beckoning and they don't let you sleep-in here (or really sleep at all - the nurses tiptoe in at night and hang bags of liquid from R2), so I should call it a night. I'll try to post more tomorrow!

And last but not least, the Lap Chart! We're supposed to be walking around the unit, around the building, on the treadmill, etc. to maintain some muscle mass, and they keep track of how many laps you do. One of the patients up here walks 1.5 miles a day, so I don't think I'll be able to keep up with her until I can get treadmill access (it's pretty "hamster-in-a-wheel" to keep circling the floor), but it's my goal to walk for 15 minutes a day, twice a day. For now, at least.
Hokey dokie - I've got like, 10 more photos to upload and I had planned on doing that today, but Benadryl and Ambien are beckoning and they don't let you sleep-in here (or really sleep at all - the nurses tiptoe in at night and hang bags of liquid from R2), so I should call it a night. I'll try to post more tomorrow!
Speaking of tomorrow - I start the "special Hopkins" part of my treatment, the VP-16 or Etopicide treatment. It's 3 days of chemo, and I'm told the side effects can be a bit hardcore, but I've decided that I'm not going to have any, so it's irrelevant. And if I do get them, Channing promised me one of those patient controlled or whatever it's called thingies - like I get a button that dispenses pain meds whenever I want it. So there's a light at the end of the tunnel. And I've been brushing my teeth 5 times a day like a good Hopkins girl, so here's hoping that I can avoid some of the nastier side effects (every time the nurses look in my mouth they're astonished by the cleanliness and beauty, I kid you not). Unfortunately, I was told that most of the side effects set-in well after the treatment, so while I'm flying high right now I may not be so chipper down the road. But I'm staying positive, walking, eating, drinking H2O, and hoping for the best. And yes, I'll be chopping off my hair soon, probably as soon as I'm up to it, so I'll definitely document or "chronicle" that event and post here.
I love you guys - more tomorrow (or soon), I promise! And I have to send a special hug and kiss to Katherine and she knows why - thank you so much for your email. XO



Gosh, it all looks so familiar, even the lap chart (can you imagine what I would do to that, hehe!). Honestly, I feel right at home.
ReplyDeleteKeep drinking that water and flushing your system and ask for good drugs should the going get tough!
XOXO
Mom here - loved your account of your adventures through Hopkins and you are really a Hopkins girl. Maybe they'll nominate you for their poster girl and everyone can see your beautiful face!
ReplyDeleteKeep posting!