I'm having one of THOSE days. I woke up grumpy and the nurse started getting all preachy and blah blah blah. I've been told I'm allowed to have these kinds of days. On rounds, my doctor basically told me that the worst is yet to come and that I get to have a spinal tap (yippppeeee!) on Monday and my bone marrow biopsy on Tuesday. So that's not exactly fun to hear. The idea of being in here another whole month for the bone marrow transplant makes me want to climb walls - or throw a chair through the window. I threatened to do as much this morning (in jest, of course) and the nurse got all uppity about it. It's not like it's her furniture (or window) or anything, and the furniture's not even that nice to begin with, so I don't see what the problem was, but whatever.
The day has since improved somewhat - I ate, I showered, and in a few minutes Deb and I will commence our exploration of the 5th and 4th floors of the Weinberg building. But I just feel "ugh" and yes, I like whine with my cheese. Which reminds me, I'm not allowed to have any friggin' cheese, and I'm craving pizza like a son of a gun (I refrained there, you should be proud).
But I should go walk - the Weinberg building beckons.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You have every right to have an "off" day and tell the nurse to stick it!!!
ReplyDeleteTalking of cheese! Ask for specifics!!! "Cheese" is a broad term and I have a feeling the restriction is only meant for "moldy" cheeses, like blue cheese and really aged hard cheeses (as they contain certain fungi), nothing like the ones that you would find on pizza. Who knows you might be able to have that pie after all.
xoxo
I think it's a lactose issue - they said the chemo destroys the cells in my mouth/esophagus/tummy and that those are the cells used to process lactose. I don't know - I'm almost willing to risk it at this point. I need pizza!
ReplyDeleteHmmmm??? But did you not eat cream cheese on your bagel and milk with your cheerios the other day?
ReplyDeleteIt is probably worth asking the oncologist (not the nurse) about it.
Woman, you SO have the right to have super bad days, feel shitty, complain and abuse small animals. Seriously-first thing I do when I get there is to puncher right in the babymaker-BOOMPOW!
ReplyDeleteAnd, wait...am I the only one who thinks a spinal tap and bone marrow transplant sounds super awesome amazing!? I mean, come on! The most important thing is that it gives me a great reason to take a week off work. What I'm saying is, you should really think about how all of this benefits ME, I find it a useful filter to run all things through :)
Love you...imagine me in rehearsal right now, trying desperately to direct with NO voice. I sound like an abused mouse on pcp.
Have as many freaking off days as you want to. What is that saying, when God shuts a door he opens a window? Well, then you should be allowed to throw as many pieces of furniture out of that window as needed.
ReplyDeleteLet me know, I can always find some inflatable furniture to mail to you. Then, you can not only throw it wherever, but you can also throw it at preachy nurses.
Hey Jess - Uncle Donny has a lot of strength. How 'bout I just send him over and he can help you empty the whole freakin' place if you want to. Anyway, you go girl - don't let them nurses push your buttons!
ReplyDeleteCrappy weather day in Chitown, so I decided to bake cookies this a.m. Made 8 1/2 dozen Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, although they have NO raisins 'cause I don't like them, and they have chocolate chips because anything made without chocolate isn't worth my time. Then I got to thinking: do Don and I REALLY need to eat all 8 1/2 dozen cookies? No way, but I do know someone who has to send visitors on munchie runs to satisfy cravings. So, my question is: what is the protocol for sending stuff like my HOME BAKED COOKIES (yummmmmm)? Allowed? Not allowed?You could even put in an order for your faves from my vast repetoire of 5 kinds: 1)see above, 2)peanut butter, 3)mandel brait, 4)molasses ginger snaps (OK, so no chocolate, but to kill for, or 5)brownies (more chocolate than even I need). Or, any combo of the above. I'm serious. Just give me a heads up, or tell your Mom and she can pass it through.
Our love,
Myra and Don
If it's a lactose issue, can you take lactaid? I tested it myself and found out that it works really well. Sometimes I take 2 if I'm having heavy cream. I want you to be able to have that pizza!
ReplyDeletechris - that was before I "knew" and I've been eating almond milk in my Cheerios, but I'm going to check again with the oncologist tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteVal - I'll definitely ask - because I WANT PIZZA!!
Aunt Myra - I shot mom an email - I could totally use some brownies and cookies!
Just before you go in to get the spinal tap, visualize midgets dancing around a 18" tall replica of Stonehenge. Then it won't be so bad :)
ReplyDeleteXOXO
Surrogate
Hi Miss Jess
ReplyDeleteI hate watching you go through this, but through the magic of technology I am grateful I can.
You look beautiful and you are amazing.
I love you
Cousin Marsh