Friday, March 6, 2009

Info for those interested: bone marrow registry

For those of you interested in donating bone marrow or getting into the database to be a potential bone marrow donor, here is the website that you should look at: National Marrow Donor Program
There should be some info on how to join, where to go, etc. It's weird because a lot of people have been asking me about this, and I ask the doctors and they're kinda like, "Huh?" So hopefully this website has some good info.

ETA: It says on the info page that they surgically take marrow from your bones for donation - I'm not sure if this is the case any longer, so don't let it scare you. I've heard that now they only use blood - my transfusion will be blood-only, no bone marrow aspirations or anything.

3 comments:

  1. I have been on the list for years. Who knows, maybe if we match you end up tan and blonde :O)
    You will probable get a stem cell transplant. No bone marrow would be taken from anyone's hips. The donor would get shots to raise their stem cell counts (so he/she) has enough for both of you. Then he/she gets hooked up to an apheresis machine that will take all their blood out of one arm, filter out the stem cells for you, and put the filtered blood back into the other arm. I sat with Daniel when he donated for his sister and it was no big deal and seriously a small price to pay for saving someone's life!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for explaining it - I didn't think the website did a very good job of describing the process. What the doctors told me is just what you said, and they said it's not painful for either party.

    I'd love to be tan and blonde! hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jess,
    Nate and I just signed up last year as bone marrow donors. Glad we can do it!
    We're always thinking of you!
    Love & Kisses,
    Tiff & Nate

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.