Monday, March 16, 2009

This sucks.

So I haven't posted in a few days - things haven't been so peachy keen around here. Unfortunately I got mucositis - it sucks HARDCORE. I'm back on a liquid diet - my meals yesterday consisted of cottage cheese with guacamole (you have to get creative), cheesecake, and a peanut butter/banana smoothie. Needless to say I'm losing a bit of weight, but nothing drastic and honestly I'm not complaining. ;) To help with the mucositis they've put me on a PCA morphine drip - PCA standing for "patient controlled analgesic". I'm only allowed to push the button once every 10 minutes for a .5 mg dose of morphine, but...well...I'm probably pushing that stupid button much more often than that. Which does me no good, except for the doctors will see that I want more medicine and hopefully up my dosage. So I've been kinda whiling away the hours in bed, being a bit of a brat, swishing my mouth with saline and trying not to think of all the delicious things I want to eat when I get out of here.

Speaking of getting out of here, I have 10 neutrophils! So this has been explained to me numerous time, but I think the gist of it is that I need neutrophils to fight off infection, so they're not letting me out of here until I have 500 (and I'm not sure how that count goes, if it's like, 500 per little area, or 500,000, or just 500 little lonely cells). Supposedly these 10 neutrophils are a good indication that I'm on the upswing - I was told that I may lose them again, but that they'll come back in full force. Gus explained them as the "general white blood cell" and they primarily fight bacterial infection, but they're basically the workhorse white blood cells and I NEED them. So hopefully I'll have more neutrophils and less mouth sores very very soon.

Until I can eat, I thought I'd make a list of all the yummy stuff I want to eat when I get out of here (not all at once, obviously). I'm missing healthy stuff like salmon and salad, too, but just because I'm bored and it's something to do I'm going to list all the naughty stuff.

2 Amy's Pizza - I was going to have this smuggled in by Jennifer, (well now I can't eat it anyway), but I was told by the docs that I shouldn't eat any of my favorite foods while I'm in treatment because I'll never want to eat them again when I get out. I'm skeptical, because nothing has made me nauseous yet, but I'm following their directions on this one because a world without 2 Amy's isn't a world I want to imagine.





In-N-Out
grilled cheese animal style with french fries - obviously I can't have this until we get back to CA, but I'd probably murder and maim for the opportunity to eat this right now (as well as the ability to eat it).





Chinese food
- that lo mein/chow mein (what's the difference again?) with shrimp. And maybe an eggroll.





Nachos
- with cheese, guacamole, sour cream, pico de gallo, jalapenos. No meat, no beans, no silliness. This photo is of what the ORIGINAL nachos looked like - just the chip, with cheese and jalapeno, then some sour cream and guacamole on the side. Deliciousness.





French fries with tartar sauce
- an old Jessica favorite, usually consumed next to a piece of beer battered fried fish. I swear I don't usually eat all this stuff - I'm just craving bad, horrible, junky food! This pic is from Eamonn's a Dublin Chipper in Alexandria - some of the best fish and chips I've ever had.


So that's that. And big bummer time - Dr. Caraway (sp) just came in and when I asked her about the 10 neutrophils, she said, "As far as I'm concerned you have zero." Which really sucks, as I was all excited about those 10. GAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

Leukemia sucks. :(

11 comments:

  1. How about:

    - Fried pickles at the Quarry House (and tots + old bay)

    - Sushi from Felix, the Mexican chef at Shintori

    - Omelet and mimosas at Vinoteca

    - And seriously, In-N-Out over the Habit? I mean, it's a clash of the titans, but Habit wins out every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jess, It is only nine o'clock in the morning, but you have made me hungry! But since you have mouth sores, I promise to limit my food intake today to some boring sardines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff - and some of their home made chips with dip - so delicious. And of course sushi - and a tempeh burger with feta from Natural Cafe, I can't forget that. And yes, In-N-Out over the Habit - I think their burgers may be better, but I like the grilled cheese better at In-N-Out. But I'd like the onion rings from the Habit, please.

    Pat - sardines?! You should eat something good!

    I just had whipped cottage cheese with guacamole and soft cheesecake for lunch - I'm not complaining (well, I am, but it was good).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, chin up! Here's something to look forward to ... the chocolate I sent from Munich has a Best-Before Date of 10/31/2009 ... which means that you will be able to eat it as soon as this phase is over.

    Lots of love,
    Surrogate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess - Man that food looks good. I know mucositis sucks big time. I've had patients with it, but it will go away. I'll treat you to some clam chowder from Legal Seafood when you're better!

    In answer to your question, "10 neutrophils" means that you have 10 per microliter of blood. Just think of all of the tumor cells that got killed by th chemotherapy, in addition to the effect it had on your white blood cells!

    My old student who's now an intern there will be by to see you. She stayed away while she wasn't feeling well.

    I think about you every day. I'm glad I finally figured out how to add to your blog!

    Love,
    Rick (or Richard, or Richie, but never Dick)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to tell you - I tried to sign-up as a marrow donor but my herniated cervical disc made me ineligible. Bummer.

    Sleep well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AS SOON as you can have good food again I'm sooooo being a personal delivery service and bringing you a new delight every day! You forgot one though: Pollo Rico!!! Please lmk as soon as you're up for ANYTHING. Missing you J. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. chicken on the run!!!!!!pause****indert image of me doing the run pose*****

    do you think you can get felix to send some dampknoedeln? or grieknoeckerl suppe...(it's like matzah soup)along with that chocolate....oh and i will make you matzah toffee for passover!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH when you next are in Chi-town....I so have the bar with a Friday night all-you-can-eat fish fry for you.... FANTASTIC FRIES!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My brother communicates more with you than me. What gives? I'm partial to the sans-hair look- no shaving was a convenience. Mouth sores are not fun, but they're temporary. I'd go for a Mad Greek lunch (Barstow) over the In-N-Out, or your dad's Thanksgiving turkey. Thanks for getting me on gmail and how to blog (I should have just asked Rachel!). Much love from California.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh, Chicken on the Run, and now I want some buttered popcorn, too. I accept all offers of food for once I'm outta here! George - I'm so down for fantastic fries. Do they have tartar sauce?

    John - I love the Mad Greek - we stopped there once. But In N Out has special CA meaning, you know? Man that sounds so good right now.

    Cousin Rich - I'll take you up on the chowder offer. And thank you for the neutrophils clarification - they didn't tell me what it really meant. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.