Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Big bummeroo...

So my doctor comes in for "rounds" (it's totally like House - it's him and like, 6 other fellows and doctors and residents, very cool) and drops a bomb - I'm most likely going to have to get a bone marrow transplant.



I don't want to put the cart before the horse, or count my chickens before they hatch, or put all of my eggs in one basket (hehe), but I guess I should be prepared for the SUCKINESS this entails. This would mean that when my stay at Hopkins is over (end of March/early April), I'd have to come back for ANOTHER month for the transplant. :( I have so many concerns - my job, my kitties, my HAIR - they said that my hair would grow back 3-6 months after the transplant. So we're talking early September before I have hair again - I know it sounds vain but the hair thing is big. And I have to keep this stupid hickman port catheter thingie in my chest THE WHOLE TIME. Like it has to be in even when I'm at home. Gross. Good news is that my sis has a 25% chance of being a match for me, and Dr. Levis bounded in here all excited earlier to let me know that he found 180 perfect matches in the database, which I guess is really huge because sometimes they only find 2-3. As he says, "Some German sheepherder may have your exact match." It's just such a weird thought to have all of my marrow replaced by someone else's!

So yeah, I'm bummed. Gus and Deb went on a Whole Foods run and I'm hangin' with R2 and the Etopocide, waiting for the bag to be finished so I can hop on the treadmill and rock out for a few minutes. It's weird, because I feel fine, better than I have in over a month, actually, and yet I'm only at the beginning of a long road of treatment/recovery. It's hard to kinda wrap my mind around that.

But there is a slim chance that I won't need the transplant, so everyone keep your fingers and toesies crossed! I'm trying to stay positive!

6 comments:

  1. Well, I'm sorry about the likelihood that you'll need a transplant, but I'm so glad there are matches! It sort of emphasizes why it's good to sign up to be a donor. I have to find out more about how exactly to do that. When I do, I'll let you know what I find out and maybe you can post it so others can do it as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this will finally work! I'll send you a pic when dad helps me upload one! I think that if you need the transplant,an Italian from Tuscany would be my choice.
    Love you....
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry again that you are going through this. I come to read your blog everyday. You are AMAZING!!! You truly are!!!! I hope you don't need the transplant but if so, its great there are so many matches out there for you!

    I hope I'm doing this comment thing right because I've never done so before (but definitely will be commenting more on here in the future! :)

    "Forevershopping" from VIP

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear about the transplant news, but glad you have plenty of matches if it does need to happen! I have as many fingers and toes crossed as I can and am working on my flexibility to be able to cross all twenty at once for you:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do we sign up to be a donor?? Count me(and my body parts) in!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure how to sign up - I'll do some sleuthing and see if I can find an answer to that, then I'll post.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.