Saturday, March 28, 2009

And so it goes...

I'm still here. Still 0 neutrophils. I had 10, then 0, then 20, then zero, then 20 again, then zero again! There's absolutely nothing I can do about it, either - I eat plenty, sleep plenty, drink, walk, etc. I wish I could just buy them on the black market or something. I'm kinda losing my mind a little bit - I just want to go home to my furbabies and my friends and my LIFE. It's nice having the freedom to live in family housing, but I still can't go anywhere, do anything, see anyone, etc. The only places I don't have to wear my mask are in the apartment and in IPOP. So yes, I like whine with my cheese.

In other news, they've found 2 perfect donor matches for me, and they're tentatively scheduling my bone marrow transplant for April 25th. HOWEVER, I'm not sure if that means I go in on the 25th, the 25th is my first day of chemo, or if the actual transplant happens on that day. This means I'll have very little time between when I get home (whenever that is) and when I'll have to leave again. And when I leave again for the transplant, we're talking 30 days in the hospital plus another 30-120 days in IPOP (the 120 day thing is worst case scenario, I'm really hoping it's more like 30-45 days), which means living in family housing OR living in Annapolis with friends. I know I should be happy and excited and grateful, and I am grateful, but I can't say I'm happy and/or excited! The prospect of spending another month in here has me climbing the walls. And of course they need to do another bone marrow biopsy (although I did know this one was coming, it'll be my 4th) and another spinal tap. Right now they're scheduled for the same day and I'm kind of like



about the whole situation. The more I look at that baby the more I can relate! So yeah, it's great news, and I'm sure a year from now I'll be sitting pretty (with hair) at work surrounded by my friends thinking, "That wasn't so bad," but when you're in the thick of it it SUCKS!

I really wish I could blog more - Gus is bringing me my old computer tonight so we'll have something to use in the apartment, but until then, I'm limited to the 2 hours I spend in IPOP to check email and blog. I'm not complaining, I like spending as little time in IPOP as possible, but it limits my internet time.

Oh, and I have an ANNOUNCEMENT:

Whoever generously sent me a package from Pampered Patient, we're unable to receive the package at the moment. You see, UPS is evil (I'll elaborate later) and refuses to release the package to Gus. I love getting packages from everyone and everyone has been so sweet and generous - but if anything is sent to our house via UPS, there's a chance it'll be returned to sender. A little story: Katie bought me a little stuffed cat from FAO Schwarz, and UPS refuses, REFUSES, to leave packages at our front door. So Gus was at work, and after the usual 3 attempts, UPS left a note letting us know that the package was being held at the UPS customer service center and we needed to come sign for it to pick it up. This is a stuffed cat, by the way. So Gus calls up UPS to confirm that the package is there, and the staff asked him if he was Jessica Sanders (the package was addressed to me), and when he said, "That's my wife, but we live at the same address I can bring proof," she said only I could sign for it. He repeated the fact that it was a stuffed cat and asked again if he could just sign for me, as I was in the hospital and unable to sign for it myself. He was put on hold and then asked (I still can't believe this) if he had power of attorney for me to sign for the package. The package with the stuffed cat in it. This is just one of the stunts UPS has pulled lately, I won't get into details, but they won't leave or release our packages, so if something is sent via UPS, there's a good chance we won't get it. So please please if you do want to send something to us, send it via USPS (our post woman couldn't care less, she basically throws the packages at the door and runs) or Fed Ex with a stipulation that NO SIGNATURE IS NEEDED. I feel like a brat stressing this but I feel so badly for whoever sent me such a generous gift only to have UPS withhold it from me. There are more stories, but they'll only make everyone angry, so I'll refrain!

So that's my UPS story for the day. UPS sucks (sorry, Mark). In a big way.



Oh, and Felix - it's a NEUTROPHIL, and I'm NEUTROPENIC!! Here's a neutrophil:



I need some - if you have any laying around, send them my way (just don't use UPS).

Love you guys!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jess,

    I know. Trying to be funny, but Germans don't have any sense of humor, remember? ;)

    That's great news that there are two donor matches. I think that it's good that your transplant is scheduled so soon, because that means the whole ordeal will be over sooner rather than later, even if that means you won't get to spend as much time at home as you would like in the near future. And you're strong enough to absolutely pull this off, there's no doubt about that.

    Speaking of packages, did you ever get the one I sent from Munich? I sent it off like 3 weeks ago ... you should have it by now.

    Love,
    Felix

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girly-

    Hang in there - you are doing great!

    I wonder if Maroon 5 dude is still delivering the packages to Pickering Ct. Sorry to hear about that - one more headache, huh?

    We are all rooting for you!
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer you're still there. Hang in there. Keep up the great sense of humor - it helps. I wish I could send you some neutrophils...
    Love from Boston

    ReplyDelete
  4. max is makig it hard for me to type here - he says hi and kick leukemia ass

    he did bn,,nn, n,n,nnnn,n,n,,,n, lbb,b bb ,, m,bb ,b bmm
    iheard it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess - sounds like those people at UPS went to the same charm school as those nazi nurses who yelled at you about taking photos! We've got to get you some voodoo dolls so you can torture all of them.

    Love,
    Aunt Myra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey,

    Sorry about the neutrophils.

    I saw this flier in a bar the other night: http://twitpic.com/2krvm

    I thought you and your friends in B-town would want to know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry about the drama with the package - hopefully it gets to you soon - I spoke to the company rep & she is contacting UPS to add Gus onto the names of people who can pick it up.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.