Sunday, March 1, 2009

And so it begins...

DISCLAIMER: I'm verbose. :)

Just to get the schmaltz out of the way, I'll say it all up front and then we can get on with the good stuff. I've created this blog because my friends and family are so amazing and the amount of emails and Facebook messages and phone calls I've received since the whole "thing" started is outta this world. And I feel badly when I can't respond personally to each and every message, but as you all know I have the attention span of a gnat *ooooh something shiny!*

I have the attention span of a gnat, so it's hard for me to buckle down and reply to everyone. NOT that I don't read and enjoy and cherish every message, just that I'm having a hard time doing it.

Now that that's outta the way, I want to let everyone know how overwhelmed I am at how blessed and lucky I am - your messages are literally pushing me through this process. I'm trying to stay positive, optimistic, yada yada and every time I open a new email and read what you guys have written me I have that much more strength to KICK THE LEUKEMIA'S ASS. Hard. Or, as my good friend Dave Wood would say, "Punch it in the FACE" (I gotta give credit where credit is due, as that has become one of my mottos). I feel like Miss America or something, but honestly, I love you all so so much and I appreciate your messages/emails/phone calls/etc. more than you know.

So that's that. The schmaltz is over with. I'll try to keep it to a minimum from here on out. Here are some facts:

1. I've been diagnosed with AML, acute myelogenous leukemia, but they have not yet specified which type of AML I have (I think there are 5 or something). The disease is (in the words of one of my doctors) treatable and cureable. AML is one of the most "understood" of the various types of leukemia, which is definitely bueno for yours truly as they can tailor the treatment extremely specifically to the cancer. If you're interested or looking for a way to procrastinate, here's a great website that explains it all:

The Leukemia & Lymphona Society

2. I'm being treated at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, and I've already finished one 3-day stint of leukemia. My treatment right now consists of 3 days of chemo, 4 days of vacay, and 3 more days of chemo. Then I stick around and build up my immune system. I will be inpatient for 25-35 days, and I got here on February 23rd, so we're looking at late March as to when I'll be discharged. Once I'm discharged, I'll have a month for my immune system to recover before I start the second process of the treatment, which will *hopefully* consist of three more 5-day inpatient chemo stints, but we won't know all of this until after the first treatment is finished. It's like reading the first volume of Harry Potter and then waiting for the second novel to come out - that kinda feeling.

3. I'm going to lose my pretty hair. :( And I can't see my babies for 4 weeks. :( These are the worst parts of this entire process. But hair grows back and my furbabies aren't going anywhere, so I need to suck this one up.

4. I can have visitors, but no children under 12 and no one who is sick, thinks they're sick, or hasn't had a flu shot (not my rules I swear). You have to wear a really sexy mask the entire time you're with me:



(you don't have to wear the shower cap but I may make you do so for my own amusement). I want to see you all of you guys - but just not yet. One day is great followed by one that sucks (today was a sucky one), and until I'm more in-tune with how I'm feeling/going to feel, I need to stick to my one or two caregivers and the nurses.

5. I'm married to the most amazing man in the world (you already all knew this), and Gus has a lot of hardcore commuting to do back and forth between Germantown and Baltimore (about an hour drive in no traffic, and let's just say that traffic is epic out here), so don't be surprised if a "Is there anything I can do?" offer is gladly accepted. Additionally, I have a rockin' ass family and although they've had to travel from CA and CT to be with me, I've seen them all and dad is sleeping in a Johns Hopkins apartment across the street as I type. I forgot the original point of this portion. I think I meant that we really appreciate all of the support that's being given to us and I want to say THANK YOU over and over and over again for all of it.

Okay. I think that's the gist of it for the time being. I'm off to do my "laps" around our hospital unit before lights-out so I should probably sign off here. Stay tuned for lots more, plus exciting photos of linoleum-floored hallways and people in masks!

I love you guys!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jessica,

    I certainly know what a pain it is to drive from Germantown to Balt and back...sucks major butt! Anyway, since I am actually located in Baltimore (well, when I'm not stuck living at the theatre), if there is anything that I can do on occasion, since I am located just a few miles away from Hopkins, please let me know!! I hope that things are continuing to progress well and we all can't wait until you are back at the theatre...you are missed! :)

    ~Kristen Bishel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess

    Well I was thinking what is going on I tried to add you to Facebook with no response. Ok no hurt feelings, maybe you forgot who I was, blah blah blah. Then comes the e-mail tonight from your mom and I had to sit and read then re-readit to make sure I was getting what I was reading (yeah old age will do that). I immediately called your mom who filled me in. I couldn't cry with her on the phone so I waited. You are going to pull through this because you are one of the strongest women I know. While I haven't seen you in years I have heard all about you and I know you from your childhood and no one was as stuborn as you. So you kick the crap out of this thing. Kick it hard. And I am going to pray for you and send you lots of healing light. Tomorrow I will light a special healing candle just for you. And whatever else I can do I will.

    You are a special young woman dear, too special for anything other than greatness. So I look forward to reading this blog and your incredible attitude and humor. I am one of your cheerleaders through this.

    Love
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - the Atlas family sent me the link to your blog. I am on CMSC8 now with my son who has a RARE type of cancer that is confounding even the Hopkins docs. Now we are dealing with weird fevers, blood cultures, IV antibiotics - you know the drill. Third time this month - woo-hoo!

    So the Atlases thought we may have had a similar dry humor ...and they have't even seen my F&*K CANCER T-shirt! (And that's from an orthodox woman who doesn't curse...or at least I didn't until the cancer diagnosis.)

    Don't know when my son will get discharged/released/paroled from here, but if you are still on 5B and not in isolation, stop on by! We can offer you free ice water and an uncomfortable chair....

    Michelle the mom (mbkschwartz@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.