
You can't tell because they're wearing masks, but they're smiling!
Anyway, updates on my "condition" or whatever you'd like to call it. I'm doing well, sluggish but well. My blood work shows an increase in white blood cells and some of the other stuff (I don't know enough to get into specifics) which is good, but my platelets are low which makes for bloody noses and that sort of thing (totally TMI). I haven't really been up for returning emails because I tend to get headaches pretty quickly. They say I'm doing MAGICALLY well - that most people are a wreck at this point - but of course I don't feel 100% so it sucks. Another bummer - my mouth is a bit "off". I have little sores in my mouth and it's hard to open my mouth all the way, plus I have to brush/swish/rinse after every single meal, so it's hard on my mouth. I had 3" of Subway sandwich tonight along with an ice cream sandwich cookie, but I think that's it for now in the solid food department - we're going to have to switch over to smoothies and ice cream for the time being. It sucks, but it's painful to eat, so I guess I have to make the sacrifice. Don't worry - everyone that sent food, I was able to eat it! Aunt Myra, mom, Wendy, etc. I've eaten the cookies/brownies and they're delicious, but I'm at capacity now, unfortunately. So I'm doing extremely well by Hopkins standards - like a good Hopkins girl - but by MY standards, I'm feelin' kinda crappy. That's me in a nutshell.
So that's that. Nothing profound - I tried, but I can't think of anything. I'll edit/repost if something comes to me!
Love you guys!
Anyway, updates on my "condition" or whatever you'd like to call it. I'm doing well, sluggish but well. My blood work shows an increase in white blood cells and some of the other stuff (I don't know enough to get into specifics) which is good, but my platelets are low which makes for bloody noses and that sort of thing (totally TMI). I haven't really been up for returning emails because I tend to get headaches pretty quickly. They say I'm doing MAGICALLY well - that most people are a wreck at this point - but of course I don't feel 100% so it sucks. Another bummer - my mouth is a bit "off". I have little sores in my mouth and it's hard to open my mouth all the way, plus I have to brush/swish/rinse after every single meal, so it's hard on my mouth. I had 3" of Subway sandwich tonight along with an ice cream sandwich cookie, but I think that's it for now in the solid food department - we're going to have to switch over to smoothies and ice cream for the time being. It sucks, but it's painful to eat, so I guess I have to make the sacrifice. Don't worry - everyone that sent food, I was able to eat it! Aunt Myra, mom, Wendy, etc. I've eaten the cookies/brownies and they're delicious, but I'm at capacity now, unfortunately. So I'm doing extremely well by Hopkins standards - like a good Hopkins girl - but by MY standards, I'm feelin' kinda crappy. That's me in a nutshell.
So that's that. Nothing profound - I tried, but I can't think of anything. I'll edit/repost if something comes to me!
Love you guys!

Watch out Johns Hopkins! G I Jess, The Drill Instructor (Kate), and The Legal Eagle are in the house!
ReplyDeleteKK- I wish I could see your face!I guess you had a flu shot.
ReplyDeleteI Love You Both!How proud are you of Miss Jess?
Cousin Marsha
You are rockin' that GI Jane look! My thoughts are with you, and here's to a speedy recovery.
ReplyDeleteDre
Dearest Miss Jess,
ReplyDeleteI am so impressed with how beautifully you are handling this most difficult twist in your life. And remember, it is just a twist and you'll come out of it on top of the heap, as always. Is this a test? If it is, you get a AAA+++.
And what wonderful friends to support you like they're doing! I hope you're making and keeping a file of all this because it could turn into a book one day that could be very helpful to another patient facing the difficult hours and days as you are doing. Certainly, much more meaningful than the "purple ping-pong ball" story of long ago.
Love hearing about your two cats, but when I mention it, Hoody keeps interrupting with, "Tell her about me! Tell her about me!" He is, of course, my wonderful cat companion.
I keep sending you cards and stuff in the mail. I hope you're getting all of this. Keep doing what you're doing. I am so proud of you. Lots of love,
Grandma
Scott and Marjorie and I have been following your blog and we are truly amazed with how strong and upbeat you have remained throughout this whole ordeal. The support you have is wonderful, but the candor and positive energy that you put into this blog have been truly inspirational for us as well. Speaking from one who has kept her hair long most of her life, I can understand how hard it must have been to part with yours, but this too shall pass.
ReplyDeleteWe actually think you look fine, but that's because your inner beauty shines though and so that is what we see when we look at you!
I don't know if you are still looking for more songs to add to your playlist but Marjorie has submitted these for your tread- milling enjoyment:
"Pocketful of Sunshine" Natasha Bedingfield
"Circus" Britney Spears
"Rock 'n Roll" Eric Hutchinson
"So What" Pink
"We the Kings" Check Yes Juliet
"PCD" Bottletop
"I'm Like a Bird" Nelly Furtado
"Keeps Gettin Better" Christina Aguilara
So we hope these get you moving.
Our cat, Timmy was also trying to figure out a way to sit on my lap while I type this, so he sends his good kitty vibes your way as well.
A big "hello" to Katie--it's been awhile.
We're so glad you can spend this weekend together.
We hope that you got the Mutts book by now--let us know!
You're doing great!!
Love,
Beth, Scott and Marjorie
Hey Jess!
ReplyDeleteWow, you look HOT!! I know that not many people are able to pull off both really long hair and super short/no hair, but you are one of those people! You make shaved heads look sexy! :) Glad to hear that you are getting through this thing (especially to Hopkins standards) and that the spinal tap came through clear. Love reading your posts - here's to your remaining time at Hopkins flying by super quick!
~Kristen B.
Dear Jess,
ReplyDeleteYou said you wanted to say something profound. You don't need to. You are showing such depth and strength - strength both for "combat" and humour (perspective) - that you are BEING profound!
I'm very happy to hear you won't be needing any more spinal taps!!!
Know that lots of us are out there rooting for you, especially for the very quick passage of the remaining 50% of the treatment.
Love from your Cousin, Carole Ann