Sunday, April 12, 2009

Tacos!

I just ate 2.33 tacos! It's so weird - back at the family housing, I tend to feel nauseous and crappy in the late afternoon, usually so much so that I need to take an anti-nausea pill and lay down for a while. I usually end up skipping a regular dinner and just noshing on whatever we have once the nausea subsides - a clementine, some plain (cold) pasta, a bagel, etc. But today/tonight I feel fantastic, and I have a huge appetite and absolutely no nausea whatsoever and was able to enjoy one of my favorite dinners, Gus's turkey tacos! They were so delicious. Here's a photo of him prepping dinner:



And a photo of my delicious tacos, about to be eaten:



I can't divulge the secret recipe, but let's just say Gus has this down to a science and these tacos are delicious!

This is scary because it feels so amazing to be home, and I know it's only temporary. :( But if the neutrophils continue on their upward climb, I should get about 3 weeks of home-time before I have to go back for the BMT. Meaning I'll have enough time to build up the courage and strength I'll need for the transplant and the hospital stay itself. It's such a weird idea - checking into the hospital. Especially since I'll be feeling fine - it's such a weird concept! Last time I felt so awful and sick that the whole process (emergency room -> Shady Grove Hospital -> Johns Hopkins) felt okay; I felt sick and horrible and I was being transferred to Hopkins for a month-long stay because I needed to get better. This time I'll be feeling fine, packing a bag, and heading to the hospital for the BMT. It's just such a weird thought, willingly leaving home and knowing I'll be gone for a minimum of 3 1/2 months. It blows!

But for now I'm going to try to focus on just getting home for a few weeks. And laughing at Gus as he lays around in shorts and the thermostat reads 77 and I hover over a space heater (apparently it's common for peeps like me to be cold). HA!

3 comments:

  1. those tacos look yummmmmy! I am so happy that you're home..YEA JESS :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't login for two days and your neutrophils are climbing, you're at home, and a taco meal to boot! Sounds like a re-invigorating experience. Although I'm partial to the bald look, and it does work for you, a wool cap helps with the feeling cold. It's great that you're speeding toward the BMT date. Hopefully, you'll get more home time first. As to checking into the hospital when you're feeling good, I sure remember several times for me; but good books and good food at the hospital helped with the time spent waiting to get out.
    Much love, Cousin John[ny]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess - your cat video took me back a few years to when we were living in the house. There was squirrel in our backyard who got his head stuffed into a frozen orange juice can that had dropped out of a garbage bag in the alley. We watched it for almost 1/2 hour, until it found a passage out of the yard and then disappeared down the alley. I must say, though, the cat is a lot cuter!

    We're praying for you that the N's decide they like taking up permanent residence and that they multiply like the rabbits on our condo grounds.

    Love, Aunt Myra and Uncle Don

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.