Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I'm a brat.

Thank you to everyone who called/emailed/messaged/Facebooked/texted/sang to me today - I was "in a mood" and had my phone on silent for most of the day, but I got all of your messages and they made me laugh and smile this evening. I was being bratty today, but Em W. is right and I should celebrate being here on my birthday, as in being alive. I won't get into depressing statistics, but I'm very lucky to have made it through induction chemo and even luckier that it was so easy for me - a few crappy days and some mouth sores and morphine - and I'm ready for the next part of my treatment and ready to kick some leukemia booty. I'm going to try and stay as positive during this next part as I was during the first part - it's just hard to summon up the enthusiasm the second/third time around. :) But I am very lucky to be here and to be almost in complete remission, so I'll celebrate that for now. With a virtual red velvet cupcake.



Funny story about red velvet cuppies - at our wedding reception we had a beautiful cupcake tower full of red velvet cupcakes, vanilla cupcakes, chocolate cupcakes, etc. And on the very tippy top of the tower, on a little pedestal, was a super-huge red velvet cupcake with cream cheese frosting - at least 3 times the size of all the other cupcakes - just for Gus and me. Everyone enjoyed the cupcakes and when the party was winding down and we went back for our big cupcake on the pedestal, it was GONE. Dude - someone ate our huge red velvet cupcake! Now I'm not holding any grudges, but I was really looking forward to that cupcake! Needless to say I've made up for it with dozens of homemade cuppies, but I'll never forget that moment - cupcakeless on our wedding reception day. Just a funny story. I was eating those leftover cupcakes for at least a week - if anyone in the LA area ever needs cuppies, I highly recommend Yummy Cupcakes in Burbank. They make a mean cuppy.

10 comments:

  1. Tell me....seriously....you didn't track down the certain individual/individuals who ate your cupcake???? I don't think that I could have been so forgiving!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Keep up the enthusiasm! You seriously amaze me. I enjoy reading your blog, it's a great way to get updates. Oh, and thanks for the cupcake recommendation. I just might have to try it out sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me be the last to wish you a Happy BDay today as it's still Wednesday in California and this is the quiet time I normally choose to read your blog; I look forward to it. You've more than earned the right to celebrate whenever and where-ever you choose - and to be "moody" temporarily. So keep seeing and writing about all the positives, and tell your catheter to behave; I used to get very frustrated when my port would "clog" - it seemed like more of an art, with a bit of witchcraft to again get it working.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if the cupcake culprit is reading this.

    The best cupcakes I've tried from around here are just from Balducci's. They inject a little bit of frosting into the cupcake and they make Red Velvet. I wasn't that impressed with cake love. But you're the real cupcake connoisseur.

    Say, have you heard of the site dcblogs? I was reading their regular post where they link to 4 or 5 "blogs of note" and one of them mentioned someone running a triathlon for the L&L society. I was thinking if you got mentioned in there, you'd might get a bunch of random donations. The site is here: http://dcblogs.com/ I'll submit for you, if you want, just say the word...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess - close your eyes and picture yourself along with me eating my red velvet cake on my birthday last week. Dan and Rhonda got it for me and we all overindulged. Yuuuuum! For anyone in the Chicagoland area, Bennison's in Evanston is the best.

    I think I screwed up your birthday, thought I was a day early, but was not. Read the calendar wrong. Does the mind go to pot when one hits 70? Anyway, I hope you had a "neutrofilled" day and good stuff to eat.

    Keep on truckin', girl.

    Love, Aunt Myra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Val - I wonder if the cupcake culprit is reading this, too! If they are, they should step up and send me a replacement cuppy. hahaha I'll have to try Balducci's - Cakelove is seriously heinous.

    Funny Cakelove story - we went there with Jeff and Gila after brunch one day (the one in U St.), and I got a lemon cupcake with lemon buttercream frosting. I took one bite - it tasted like Pine Sol. I kid you not, it seriously tasted like Lemon Pledge or something, it was so vile. I went back up to the counter and handed it back to them!

    I don't know if I want to be submitted - can random people comment on my blog then? I don't want scary outsiders. But I do want donations for the walk. Catch 22?

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg - i so want a red velvet cupcake NOW!!!!! that is yummy looking ...i am around the corner from that cake love place in silver spring but i was not impressed...have discovered new restaruant we will have to go to in DC when you are and about - Vapianos' inexpensive and cool -
    if you need anything just call - love you, miss you and sacrificed a fish for you on your birthday :) (well we went out for sushi - does that count?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just find the cake love cakes to be ... dense. Dense and dry.

    I think random people can comment on your blog anyway, if they find it. This would just make it more likely that they find it. I dunno, it was just a thought. I didn't know how you felt about drawing more traffic to your blog. I don't know how likely strangers will be to donate anyway so maybe it's not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG those baby leopards are so adorable! I love the squeaking!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.