
The size of the bandage has no relation to the size of the wound (it's tiny), but here you can see the pressure bandage from the biopsy as well as the tiny Band-Aid from the lumbar puncture (spinal tap). And you can see that my pajama bottoms are 2 sizes too large, but whatever.
Anyway, we went to IPOP this morning to get my blood drawn, and they told us I'd been taken off ALL of my antibiotics. The antibiotics I was on were hardcore - they're called antibiotics "of last resort" because they'll kill just about anything; the doctors prescribe these when everything else has failed. Up until now, I've been on a liquid diet of Vancomycin, Zosyn, and Capsofungin, getting one of each bag infused at IPOP as well as giving myself IV bags (called eclipse balls, really cool) of the Zosyn every 6 hours and the Vancomycin at midnight. I was also on 2 pills a day of Norfloxacin. As of today, I'm on NOTHING. They took them ALL away, and it's terrifying.
So they took my blood and the results come back and my neutrophils have dropped from 414 to 286, and my potassium has dropped (which is really weird because they gave me IV potassium yesterday), and my hematocrit (red blood cells) are right at the point where they give me a transfusion, and my platelets have also dropped (apparently platelets are the last thing to recover and peeps like me can be "platelet dependent" for quite a while). So...they tell us all of this and then say, "See ya on Saturday!" Gus and I were really uncomfortable with the whole thing - not only are my counts weird, but my nurse practitioner, Mindy, had said that my going home was contingent on my neutrophils being 500 or more, and since she wasn't there today, we were iffy as to whether the other NPs filling in for her were really aware of the whole picture. And on top of that, I was lightheaded and dizzy (most likely because I'm anemic). So we came back to the room and started packing, but both of us felt that things just weren't right, so we called IPOP and told them we'd like to stay another night and come back into IPOP tomorrow with the hopes of better counts. So no home for Jess.
Right now I'm writhing around on the chair in the living room of our family housing apartment - the Oxycodone - it does NOTHING!
Much like the goggles.
So, today kind of sucks. Actually, it really sucks. But I'm hoping that my counts will have recovered by tomorrow and I can finally go home.
For now, I'm going to go find a comfortable horizontal position so my back will stop throbbing.
Anyway, we went to IPOP this morning to get my blood drawn, and they told us I'd been taken off ALL of my antibiotics. The antibiotics I was on were hardcore - they're called antibiotics "of last resort" because they'll kill just about anything; the doctors prescribe these when everything else has failed. Up until now, I've been on a liquid diet of Vancomycin, Zosyn, and Capsofungin, getting one of each bag infused at IPOP as well as giving myself IV bags (called eclipse balls, really cool) of the Zosyn every 6 hours and the Vancomycin at midnight. I was also on 2 pills a day of Norfloxacin. As of today, I'm on NOTHING. They took them ALL away, and it's terrifying.
So they took my blood and the results come back and my neutrophils have dropped from 414 to 286, and my potassium has dropped (which is really weird because they gave me IV potassium yesterday), and my hematocrit (red blood cells) are right at the point where they give me a transfusion, and my platelets have also dropped (apparently platelets are the last thing to recover and peeps like me can be "platelet dependent" for quite a while). So...they tell us all of this and then say, "See ya on Saturday!" Gus and I were really uncomfortable with the whole thing - not only are my counts weird, but my nurse practitioner, Mindy, had said that my going home was contingent on my neutrophils being 500 or more, and since she wasn't there today, we were iffy as to whether the other NPs filling in for her were really aware of the whole picture. And on top of that, I was lightheaded and dizzy (most likely because I'm anemic). So we came back to the room and started packing, but both of us felt that things just weren't right, so we called IPOP and told them we'd like to stay another night and come back into IPOP tomorrow with the hopes of better counts. So no home for Jess.
Right now I'm writhing around on the chair in the living room of our family housing apartment - the Oxycodone - it does NOTHING!
Much like the goggles.
So, today kind of sucks. Actually, it really sucks. But I'm hoping that my counts will have recovered by tomorrow and I can finally go home.
For now, I'm going to go find a comfortable horizontal position so my back will stop throbbing.


Jess - this sucks!! It was sounding so good when I talked to Ilene this a.m. I know you would kill to get to go home for a few days or longer. Guess it will have to wait a bit.
ReplyDeleteCould you be in a better place right now (other than home, of course)?! Just hang on to the fact that this team is the best and and they (and YOU) WILL win! Uncle Donny and I talk about you every day. If the vibes can travel 700 miles, you must feel them because we are sending out some pretty strong ones.
Love to Gus.
Aunt Myra and Uncle Don
I am glad you decided to play it safe.
ReplyDeleteYou will have a better day tomorrow and hopefully go home then.
Much Love -
LOVE YOU. Thinking bout ya non stop. I stole some Asianist files today in your honor. Did you feel it?
ReplyDeletesteve is wondering if netrophils are kosher for passover :) this could be your problem
ReplyDeleteYou totally did the right thing staying in patient housing for the night! Never ever be talked into something that does not feel right! Your intuition is your best friend through this ordeal! If you cannot talk to your regular NP tomorrow insist on seeing your oncologist!
ReplyDeleteI hopeyou will have a better day tomorrow, including more neutros!
Xoxo
Hey Jess,
ReplyDeletethat was the right decision to stay in housing and play it safe. You know your own body better than anyone else and you have to do what feels right. Just hang in there! And I am willing to hit the black market in Europe for some neutrophils to get you home sooner ... just let me know ;)
Love ya,
Surrogate
Jess,
ReplyDeletesending lots of love and hoping today's better. Hope your neutrophils get the memo to keep going up, not down.
Love, Lara
Marietta - I think you've hit on the answer.
ReplyDelete