Thursday, April 2, 2009

Benadrylllllllllll...

Benadryl makes me feel so weird. And lately I've been given lots of it - platelets give me hives, so they dope me up on IV Benadryl beforehand, and now when I receive any blood product I get Tylenol and Benadryl before they infuse me. Which means I'm completely in la la land right now (I'm getting 2 bags of blood).

Today was a long day, and it's only 2:44pm - we started our morning at 8am at a bone marrow transplant class led by a BMT nurse. I was skeptical about how informative or helpful it would be, but it was actually pretty great. They got into specifics of the transplant, timelines, how it works, etc. I'm having an allogeneic matched unrelated bone marrow transplant - I had no idea there were so many other types of transplants! There are mini BMTs, autologous transplants, stem cell transplants, etc. After our meeting we had a bagel from Einstein's (their onion chive shmear is really good) then walked over to the outpatient building for my EKG and pulmonary tests (these are all pre-BMT evaluations to make sure I'm ready for the transplant). The EKG was uneventful, but the pulmonary tests were lame! I had to breathe into this apparatus so hard that my chest hurt afterwards - and I kept messing up so she had to keep recalibrating the machine and then we'd wait 5 minutes and I'd do it again. Then we came up to IPOP, and I've been "popping" ever since. They gave me the usual Zosyn/Vancomycin/Capsofungin cocktail and now I'm getting blood - it's taking forever. All I want is a nap!

I'm off to watch videos on hulu.com - I have to kill another 90 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jess- just checking in and sending my love. Like often mentioned on your blog, I really look forward to reading your entries (and the related comments as well). And I agree with Myra that your story should be published...something to think about as a future project.

    Keep up the A&P (acceptance & patience) attitude. Something we should all aspire to achieve.

    Love Peggy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cocktail sounds great, almost as good as the Manhattan your Dad has.

    Did you see the family newsletter? You're the star.

    Take care, Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can watch sooooo many cool things on hulu - it is my favourite

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.