Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Is it a chip?

I had a great day today - I felt fantastic, I walked for 45 minutes, I ate a donut (always a good thing), I hung out with one of my nurses (they were off-duty), etc. My appetite is waning, but I forced down an Amy's Organic burrito for dinner (but I think that donut took care of my caloric needs for the day). The only downers of the day were that Dad left and that I had a "moment" while I was doing my laps. A "moment" is one of those "WTF?!" moments I have now and then when I actually think about the situation I'm in. Like I'm walking around the halls (I had 2 transfusions today so I couldn't leave my unit) thinking, "I live in an effing HOSPITAL. I have leukemia. WHAT?!" The creepiest part is that it begins to feel normal, and that REALLY freaks me out. I try to keep these "moments" to a minimum because as you can imagine they're not fun, but I can't help but have them now and then. And then I thought, "Well, maybe everyone has something really sh*tty happen in their life, and I'm just getting mine out of the way now?" I can only hope that's the case. But like I said, it was a good day, and my nurse stressed to me again today how important it is to exercise and eat and get out of my room - he sees patients going through this every day, and he says that without exception the patients that walk a lot and eat and have family and friends visiting a lot are the ones that feel the best through this whole ordeal. So donuts and walking it is!

Anyway, the point of this post is that I need to share something with you. Something dire. Something that will change all of our lives in a huge way. There is your life before this, and your life from this point forward. Are you ready?

British court rules yes, Pringles are in fact chips

After appeal, three judges decide snack has enough potato to be taxable


updated 3:56 p.m. ET, Wed., May 20, 2009

LONDON - Pringles' tax status has been crunched by a trio of British judges.

The Court of Appeal judges decided Wednesday that the snack is a potato chip — and that means it's liable for Britain's Value Added Tax.

In Britain, most food isn't subject to the 15 percent national tax, but potato chips are.

A lower court had decided Pringles weren't chips and would remain exempt from tax. But the higher court judges disagreed. They said the snack contains "more than enough potato content" to be considered a chip.

A spokeswoman for Pringles' manufacturer Procter & Gamble Co. said the company has been paying the tax protectively and so does not owe the taxman.

******************

Are you kidding me?! This makes news?! I have to give credit where credit is due - baby sis KK sent me the article - I read the title and spit water out all over myself. I know I have a twisted sense of humor, but I figured at least a few of you would find this humorous. And BTW, they're not chips - I saw a Food Network special on potato chips (!!!), and they're called potato crisps because they're made from dehydrated potato product. Anyone with taste buds will tell you that Pringles are NOT chips!

That's it!

ETA: Why on earth does England tax potato chips?

5 comments:

  1. .......so.......in the case of fish and "chips," where the "chips" are actually fries....but they are called chips (because they just are).....and they are made out of potatoes.... would the "chips" be subject to taxing, but not the fish? And what constitutes a "chip?" There are tater tots out there who need to know! I'd stick to the donuts if I were you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know but now I'm hungry for fish & chips, so I'm going to make Gus get me Mc Donald's french fries on his way here! Eeeeeek!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "ETA: Why on earth does England tax potato chips?"

    - - It's not much of a tax. It's really just small potatoes.

    (cough)

    ReplyDelete
  4. To answer your title question: no! It is not a chip! It is a crisp!!! Chips you have with fish and malt vinegar served in newspaper!
    Blimey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pringles always make me sick, there is something in them that is not in regular potato chips that really disagrees with my stomach.

    Being the nerd that I am I can answer your question about the tax. A lot of European countries (I remember Sweden has 25%) have a so-called "sin tax" - a sales tax on items that are bad for you. Even NYC is thinking of implementing one now that they're going broke!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.