Thursday, May 14, 2009

0th -1?

Tomorrow is actually my 0th Birthday - my nurse Kristen said I'm due to get my marrow around 8:30am tomorrow (May 15th). So my birthday is a day later than expected. I think the marrow may be coming from Europe - they say that European flights tend to arrive later in the evening, and apparently my marrow arrives late tonight, so they're going to refrigerate it until tomorrow morning or something and then infuse it. Gus will be here for it - mom already left for home, and dad won't be here yet, but Gus will be with me for the marrow infusion. They say it'll take about 4 hours! I had no idea it'd take so long. They don't use the pump (R2) for the infusion, they just use good 'ol gravity, so I guess it takes longer.

Anyway, we just got back from a walk, and I've had a great day today. Matt and Jennifer came to visit, we ate pizza and salad from Matthew's Pizza and cuppies from Charm City Cupcakes (they're pretty good, not out of this world, but passable, and I forgot to ask for cream cheese frosting so it's buttercream), and the catheter is out and I feel pretty darn good. We went downstairs to see the turtles (they're having a turtle derby tomorrow) and took a little walk, but I'm still feeling a bit lightheaded, so we came back to the room.

And I have photos! Here are pics of me in my Derby outfit before Julia and Alan's party:






Here's Gus and me at The Narrows restaurant on the Eastern Shore - our little jaunt through the rain to get some amazing crabcakes.



And some photos of our food - the crabcakes were awesome, as good as I remembered, but the sides sucked, unfortunately. I ordered fried green tomatoes with my meal, and they were red. They tasted really strange - I've had good fried green tomatoes and these were NOT good. And Gus got asparagus with his - it was okay, but overcooked. But the sides were irrelevant because the cakes were so good, and Gus had this amazing cream of crab soup - plus I didn't have to wear a mask, and it was my first (and last) restaurant outing, so it was really fun.







Close-up of my crabcake:



It was ALL CRAB! And here's the view from our table - it was gray and raining outside, but still a pretty view of the docks:





And here are photos from today, from my day-early-0th Birthday Party!






So today was a good day. Tomorrow will be good, too - it's nice to have a few days of leisure before all hell breaks loose (when the side effects start happening in about a week or so). I'll take more photos tomorrow of my marrow being infused - I may even wear a dress. :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jess -- So very glad you had a great day! The pictures are terrific (love that smile), and Gus is the very best -- so cute -- the "0" celebration. Tomorrow the celebration will continue as your new marrow is infused. I look forward to hearing all about it.

    This weekend I'm going to make some crab cakes (I found the Narrows recipe online some time ago. I'll let you know how they turn out.

    Love for now, Cousin Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the recipe for those crabcakes?! Send it to me! I'd love to make those! I had no idea they had disclosed it! Let me know how yours turn out - they're so delicious, I could eat them every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cannot believe you have never seen a star trek episode!!!!!! at least you started with a good one!
    you look great in your outfit for the derby party - you obviously did not lose the girls

    ReplyDelete
  4. So.... since the marrow is coming tomorrow.....is today a negative birthday? I love how you can see daisy mae in the picture with you and your ginormous hat :) I can't tell if the other little black blob is fitzy or a box...

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.