Today was dramatic. It started very early with my nurse giving me my Cytoxan dose, but for some reason, she only gave me 25 mg of Benadryl instead of 50 mg (it was written that way, so it's not her fault, but I can't figure out why it was incorrectly written), and then infused the bag over 1 hour instead of 2 (which we learned we're not supposed to do, but whatevs). So I woke up at 7am with a burning face. They gave me some more Benadryl and the bag finished up, so that was that and I was okay. But I still just felt AWFUL. Like, lethargic, a little nauseous, tired, etc. So Gus and I did 15 laps (a little over 1/2 mile) around 5B to try to get things moving, but after 15 I was ready to lay down again. I started feeling freezing cold...then chilly...then warm...then warmer...then really hot...and nauseous...I had a fever of 101.1. Which sucked. So they gave me some anti-nausea meds, and then I was told I'd need a CT scan, blood cultures, and more antibiotics. Whaaaa?? So much drama! So they took me down to Radiology for the CT scan, then someone came and pricked my arm and took blood (and she took blood from the Hickman, I guess they like to cover all the bases) for cultures, then they hung some hardcore antibiotics. I started feeling much better but was exhausted - like I couldn't even open my eyes. I was just limp on the bed, mumbling when spoken to. I ate 1/2 a turkey burger for dinner (didn't really eat lunch) so I do feel more awake, but I'm still in bed.
What a day! It was my "first fever", and my nurse said it could signal engraftment. Apparently sometimes patients get fevers when their cells first start to engraft. That would be nice! So let's hope that's the case.
Anyway, I haven't checked email in a while, so I'm behind and wanted to let everyone know I'll respond eventually, sorry for the delay. :) I'm still really tired, so I'm going to go lay around, but just wanted to update everyone on my dramatic day. Yikes!
ETA: The fever/engraftment thing is BS. Apparently this doesn't happen until like, 3 weeks after the BMT. I asked the doc - when in doubt, ask the attending! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Jeebus! Hospitals and drama are not a good combination in real life.
ReplyDeletelet's hope it's a "good" fever. Try more visualization - picture the blasts boiling away with the fever. Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteWow, Jess. Like Richard, I am keeping my fingers crossed that it's the "good (i.e. engrafting) fever". But I think it's a good sign that after such a tough day, you still managed to post an update to the blog, which we are all really grateful for.
ReplyDeleteSending you lots of love and support from Munich!
-Surrogate
Just wanted to let you know that we are thinking about you and wanted to
ReplyDeletesend some healing tropical breezes your way with a small dose of humor.
We hope this video makes you smile and forget what you're going through
for a little while.
Love,
Beth, Scott and Marjorie
Click here for Hula Parrot
Oh my... its like an episode of House! Very happy the drama is over.
ReplyDelete