Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Cytoxan sucks.

I had my first dose of Cytoxan yesterday, and it was not good times. I felt like someone had sprayed pepper and perfume up my nose - there was this horrible burning sensation and it made my eyes water - not fun. I'm guessing it may have something to do with the fact that Cytoxan is a derivative of mustard gas, but I'm not sure. In any case, once the horrible burning went away, I was left with a RAGING headache that refused to go away, and later turned into nausea. Fun. After some creative medicating around 10pm, I finally was able to stand up and shower and go to bed, but that was not a pleasant day.

Today they did a preemptive strike with Benadryl and Ativan, and I was able to avoid the whole burning/headache/nausea scenario, and ended up sleeping through the 2 hour treatment, which was nice. For some reason, though (and I'm not sure if this is from the Ctytoxan or something else entirely), I've spent the rest of the day feeling antsy and weird and unable to concentrate on anything or focus; I just feel weird and off in general, kinda light-headed. UGH! Cytoxan sucks!

5 comments:

  1. I believe you. My 'cytoxan' was called 'cisplatin', and it sucked too. Not fun. But after each treatment, one less day remained in the cycle before I was done with it. Hang in there and keep figuring out what makes it more tolerable. (Saltine crackers and plenty of SmartWater!)
    Love,
    ---Cousin John[ny]

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know anything with mustard gas in it does not sound good. I can't even imagine what you are feeling but I do know that you are one day closer to this all being over with and getting back to your wonderful life. I am sending so many good healing thoughts your way it is not even funny. I mean one goes out like every second. Hang in there for a little longer and you will be back on your feet in no time flat. Keep us all posted as much as you can but also don't stress about it. Keep yourself rested and in good spirits as much as possible. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess,
    Sorry you had an unpleasant experience yesterday, but hang in there sweetie...
    Best of luck tomorrow!
    Love,
    Gladys

    ReplyDelete
  4. How weird is that, when my dog was on Cytoxon they used to give her Benedryl and Ativan too and then I had to give her Pepcid an hour before dinner because she seemed to have issues swallowing and they thought it might be acid.

    We'll be thinking of you tomorrow - Indie & I. She sends warm furry hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morag - I can't believe your doggie was on Cytoxan! Give Indie a hug from me.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.