Thursday, May 7, 2009

I'm in.

So I'm in. I'm in a different unit, a different colored/size room, with different nurses, a different/smaller bathroom, and a different view. It's different. The bathroom is small. Really small. My old bathroom was huge, with 2 big windows - my new bathroom is the size of a matchbox. The one plus is that I can get this bathroom nice and warm and steamy when I shower - the old bathroom was always really freaking cold.

It's weird being back. It feels like I never left, in a way. I can't believe I'm in here for a month - that doesn't even compute right now. I know I have to take it one day at a time and just be patient and positive, but dude, it's hard! They've already started the chemo, one little bag of Busulfan. It really sucks - I was supposed to get the Busulfan in pill form, meaning I wouldn't need to be hooked up to R2 for like, 4 days - but since I was admitted on a Thursday, I have to get it intravenously, and once you're hooked up to R2 there's no "unhooking". It BLOWS! Something about no one being here to read my blood test results on the weekend, blah blah blah. So there goes my 4 days of freedom. :(

I need to take some new pictures of 5B and my room, but in the meantime, here's one of me with my fuzzy bunny head:




Mom is here, she's over in family housing, and Gus spent the day with me as well - he even did a grocery run at Whole Foods so I could have some cooked eel sushi for dinner. I didn't walk today, but tomorrow I'll be up and about - apparently 25 laps around my unit equals 1 mile. I prefer to walk the entire floor - walking through each unit once - and then going down to the 4th floor and doing the same thing. So Gus and I calculated - if I do 3 sets (the 5th floor twice, the 4th floor once), I'll be walking a mile. My goal for right now is to walk 1.5 miles a day, trying to get out of my room as much as possible.

Ugh it's 10:30 but they need to draw my blood 2 more times tonight (they draw it 7 times after they start the Busulfan), and I want to go to sleep but for some reason my nurse hasn't come in with my 10:00 meds. Blah.

More to come maƱana.


ETA: Ooops! I have 2 photos that I forgot to post - totally unrelated to today and not in any way related to each other, but photos nonetheless. Here's one of the 2 Amy's pizzas Jennifer and Matt brought over last week - there aren't words for the deliciousness:





And here's one of my awesome orange satin shoes - I wore these with a blue dress to Julia and Alan's Kentucky Derby party:






And before I forget, I have a question for you guys. You know that commercial for the new Kia Soul? With the hamsters?




Gus insists that those are huge hamsters, living/driving in a regular human-sized world. I think they may be normal-sized hamsters, living in a hamster-sized world. But Gus made a good point - if those are normal-sized hamsters in little hamster cars, what would the kitty cars look like? They'd be a completely different size. And then they'd need different-sized roads and everything, and that wouldn't make any sense. Therefore, it must be a regular-sized world with giant hamsters. What do you guys think?

8 comments:

  1. Definitely giant hamsters. You just never see them because you live in a normal place with normal people. These giant hamsters, I think, live in "other" places. Not complete alternate universes, rather, just less populated areas that are not quite..."right." Like, the Santa Maria/Lompoc/Orcutt of Santa Barbara..... or the Santee or Escondido of San Diego. There are still people who live there, but they're.....different. Not necessarily hamster-different....

    These hamsters do a lot of non-profit work, which is why the only step up from a wheel is a Kia. The hamsters are also incredibly cute, so they use that for money too.

    And wait, your bathroom had windows in it?! And what's up with the "Thursday" treatments? I have a strange feeling that it has something to do with the staffing schedule. Either way, different is good, because it means that you're moving forward :)

    And, I just wanted to let you know that Pancake J. Wrble and Nibblecheeks M. Wrble approve of your fuzzy bunny head. Aside from dinner and petting, there are few other things that those two approve of, so consider that a huge compliment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget to cruise past the lobby with your camera and orange shoes. That should be good for some amusement. I'm happy to hear that you've started as that means you'll finish sooner as well. Keep smiling at us!
    ---Cousin John[ny]

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay - i am going to have to side with gus on this one. human sized in human size world. I don;t think my brian could quite grasp the spacial relationship between hamster world and kitty world at the moment (too much foreing policy and us history floating around - did you know that there was a real Uncle Sam? and he was a meat packer?)

    your fuzziness is quite cute! LOVE LOVE LOVE the shoes - wish i had tiny feet so i could sneak into your apt while you are in baltimore and steal them heeheehee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate to speak such blasphemy,but I think G and I have discovered a pizza place a single solitary block from our place that can challenge 2 Amy's. I know I know...you took us there and that was my Mexican's favorite pizza until recently, but this place...oh of all that is holy and good.... Their cremini mushroom, mona mozzarella, and black pepper pizza is unbelievable. Last night they also offered bacon on it..and...oh it just got better... Must find where they get their bacon from....

    That hamster commercial is fantastic. I think its giant hamsters myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they're the R.O.U.S.'s from "The Princess Bride"!

    Those shoes are smoking - I bet you were looking hot at the party!

    Miss you already - and you're right, the pizza is amazing (and healing - did ya know?) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. George - We took you guys to Comet Ping Pong! 2 Amy's is way better than Comet Ping Pong. Therefore, you can't compare, which means you have to come back to DC so we can take you to 2 Amy's! However, you have to factor in the convenience of the proximity of the new place, so you have some intense research to do. 2 Amy's also has risotto balls - heaven on earth. Cheese-filled risotto formed into balls and fried. !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You intrigue me with the correction of my mistake....oh yes, I am intrigued..... Deep fried cheese-filled rice balls....

    Did I mention the superball party I went to were every food was deep fried? Deep fried twinkies should literally be at the base of the food pyramid I discovered.....like those pesky whole grains...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gricelda thinks its giant hampsters.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.