Sunday, May 17, 2009

007

A quick update - I'm doing fine, I just finished my last day of "rest" before my next batch of Cytoxan, which starts tomorrow morning. I'm feeling fine, just a bit tired. I'm dreading the side effects which will start soon - really dreading them. It's a weird feeling to feel okay, but look at a calendar and say, "Well, I guess I'll be feeling really sh*tty about 5 days from now." I'm not being negative, just realistic! Hopefully the mucositis will be manageable - last time it was agonizing, but in hindsight I was lucky and it was a relatively mild case. This time I get to skip the Ara-C rash, which is nice!

So I flipped on the TV for a bit of noise before bed, and Licence to Kill was on. I'm not a huge Bond person, so I haven't seen all of the movies, but I realized about 5 minutes into the movie that I'd never even seen this Bond before - so I did some Googling and saw that it was Timothy Dalton.



I did some more Googling, and saw that there have been quite a few Bonds - which one is your favorite? I'm going to have to go with Timothy Dalton - I've only seen parts of that one movie, but he feels the most Bond-ish to me. I think that in a weird way, he kind of looks like my doctor - I don't have a picture of Dr. Smith to compare, but for those of you that have met him - don't you think so? Just a little bit?

13 comments:

  1. My favorite Bond is Sean Connery, though I'm also not a huge fan. My problem with the Bond films is that I saw Austin Powers before most of them so in my mind the parody comes before the original. "The Spy Who Shagged Me" makes so much more sense now!! =)hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Sean Connery too but Daniel Craig is a pretty good bond too!

    I've been thinking about you all weekend.

    I'm glad you're feeling ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sean Connery! Now of course I was 12 yrs old when "Goldfinger" came out. Quite a special movie. Hope your side effects are minor.
    Love,
    ---Cousin John[ny]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hands down Sean Connery is my favorite. He brought a quality to the part that made the character stand out more than the M provided gizmos. Second would have been Pierce Brosnan till I saw him sing in Mama Mia. Destroyed the whole mistique! Bond doesn't SING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have to go with Daniel Craig, with Sean Connery a very very very close second. Of course it might have to do with the last two Craig movies being less cheesy than all the movies that preceded them..... A much darker feel to them....

    Definitely put the last two Bond flicks on your netflix queue......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jess. Sean Connery is definitely my favorite (guess this shows my age). He is gracious and gentlemanly as well as talented (I was fortunate to meet him a few days when he was a client at my old firm).

    I made the crab cakes over the weekend from The Darrows recipe I found online and they were scrumptious. The Old Bay Seasoning is a crucial element (I located it right there at the seafood store where I purchased my lump crab). Next time I will add more cracker/bread crumbs and less lemon (my cakes broke apart).

    Hope you have a good deay.
    Love, Cousin Peggy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First "Star Trek," now James Bond? Is pop culture nerdiness a side effect of your chemo?

    I have to go along with most folks here: Connery owns Bond. Dalton actually does OK, but he doesn't have a lot to work with. Daniel Craig is good, especially in "Casino Royale."

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's only ONE Bond baby and that's Sean Connery (oh yeah).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sean Connery, except for the fact that he's an admitted wife beater - for that I hate him.

    I hope you keep feeling great, you and your new insides.

    ReplyDelete
  10. of course the scottish woman says Sean Connery ( i feel there is a strong bias there)

    Daniel Craig is H-O-T!!!! i mean like you see everything except what goes with the fine china...mmmm hmmm...you know what i'm talkin' about child! and his movies are very different.

    i lvoed pierce brosnan because he was remington steele, so bond seemed a perfect fit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd have to go with Sean Connery, with Pierce Brosnan a close second. I feel that Brosnan got shafted because the scripts that he had to work with by the time he became Bond were just complete shit, other than "Goldeneye" ... those bad scripts were the reason why Bond had to be re-booted, not Brosnan. I think Daniel Craig has been too little tongue-in-cheek to be Bond ... those movies with him feel more like "Jason Bourne"-movies than Bond.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy be-lated 0th, looks and sounds like your a champion with this whole ordeal.
    Unlike most posts I'm going to agree with you on Dalton being the most well rounded Bond ever. Everyone likes Connery because he was the first, he was masculine with just a hint of femininity, he didn't rely on toys as much as the others and his humor was not pushed. However in the idea of Bond Dalton really epitomizes him. Bond is supposed to be a darkness he kills for a living, you can't be a happy person with that kind of past, plus, as you saw in License to Kill he was married and harbors pain from her death. His character is less sex driven more emotionally involved, there is no femininity about Dalton, which probably is why most women don't relate to him, in the same way they do for Connery and Craig. As for Craig, first and foremost he's blond, very hard for Bond fans to get past. However his character is more atuned to Dalton's, brooding dark and mysterious. The storylines of the last two with Craig are far superior to all other Bond's combined, and they do something no other films have done, span two movies. This is the first time one movies story roled into the next. I'm going to hold off on listing my favorite just yet. I have to give Craig more time to brew, but it's between Dalton and Craig, followed very closely by Connery. If you want to watch the best of Bond I'll recomend Dr. No, From Russia with Love, License to Kill, The Living Daylights, and Casino Royale, all in that order. I wouldn't recommend Quantum of Solace until seeing Goldfinger. The best of Moore would be For Your Eyes Only. Sorry for the long post, and hope it helps or entertains enough to see more. Last recommendation if you can watch the old films on Blu-Ray I recommend it highly, the remastered films make them into completely new films, totally different experience. They look and feel like movies set in the 60's, not made in the 60's.
    Get well soon.
    Tarn

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my lord he does look like Dr. Smith!!
    that's so funny!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.