Now I'm on clear liquids only. It's not a doctor-prescribed thing, rather a self-imposed rule to prevent the horrible pain I get when I eat anything else! Even Ensure hurts. So it's Gatorade and chicken broth for the time being. I'm told there's a clear liquid version of Ensure (in fruit juice flavors) for those of us on clear liquid diets, but there wasn't any in the pantry - I think my nurse is ordering some. I'm worried about the whole not-eating thing, but my doctors don't seem too concerned, so I guess I'm okay. Quite svelte at the moment, but okay. Apparently once my counts come up (as soon as day 25, but usually around day 30, and I'm on day 15) I'll feel much better and as soon as I can eat I'm sure the weight will pile back on quickly.
So no more Protonix for Jess - they've switched me to Zantac. Apparently Protonix can mess with your liver - which it was doing - my liver enzymes were really high. I had a liver ultrasound this afternoon and everything looked okay, and we should get the new blood test results back tonight or tomorrow confirming it was just the meds. The doctor said that anything else would be very rare, he really thinks it's the meds. Let's hope so!
So that's about it - I feel better than yesterday (I was feverish all day) and was able to do a few laps and sit up in the chair today, but I'm still in constant friggin' pain from the mucositis. I'm getting kinda antsy - this is about the same time during my last visit where I started to get major cabin fever. Unfortunately, this will most likely be a much longer stay, which really sucks, so I need to start just sucking it UP!
I go back and forth about whether or not to post this stuff because I don't want people to worry or freak out, but it's the truth, and I already sugar-coat it enough, so I figure I'll just do it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm happy that you post all the stuff you do, and have chosen to be the way you are! One day closer to feeling much better.
ReplyDeleteLove, ---Cousin John[ny]
Hey Jess,
ReplyDeleteI can only speak for myself, but good or bad, I always want to know how you are doing ... and you seem to be doing well (given the circumstances) more than not. Keep it up! You'll be fine and I think you might not get cabin fever as bad this time, because you were able to mentally prepare a little better from your previous experience. Keep it up!
Love,
Surrogate
well said Felix! Can't wait to be back with you and your super awesome mucositis. We're all here, good or bad posts, and I'd definitely rather have you honest than pretend happy!
ReplyDeleteLove you.
Jess, my friend! There really is no reason for you to sugar coat anything!!! You are amongst people who love and support you!
ReplyDeleteSo go ahead: rant, rave, throw chairs, do whatever helps you feel better!!!
Unfortunately there is not much we, as your friends can do to take your pain away, but we sure can listen!!!
Here is to the day when all is better!!!
XOXO
Hmmm....Gaterbroth.....
ReplyDeleteWhat they said...
ReplyDelete