Tuesday, August 25, 2009

It's not flame-grilled.

I have (drumroll please).................BK VIRUS!!!





He is SO creepy. *shudder* Anyway, BK Virus is this thing that like, a huge percentage of the population has, but it only affects the immuno suppressed/compromised, like yours truly. I'm a lucky, lucky lady. I'm about to get totally TMI, so if you're squeamish or don't want to hear about the ickyness, stop reading NOW.

I've been battling with UTI symptoms for like, almost 2 weeks, and usually a week-long treatment of antibiotics will just take care of things and send one on their merry way. Not so with the BK Virus induced UTI - this baby is viral, and doesn't really care for antibiotics. It shuns them. So...there's nothing I can do about it except (and here I quote my doctor) "let it run its course". Well apparently it's training for a marathon because this is a long effing course, with no end in sight. Just imagine having to use the bathroom ALL THE TIME and when you finally do, it feels like someone is stabbing you in the belly (and nether regions) and twisting the knife. And because of the nature of the beast, you're supposed to be drinking constantly, so let's just say this is something I'm experiencing quite frequently. Like every 3-5 minutes. I AM NOT EXAGGERATING.

I was so miserable on Sunday that we went to the local ER for some hydration and pain management. They gave me a huge bag of fluids and some morphine and Ativan, and it definitely took the edge off. I've been managing it since then with oxycodone, but there's a nasty downside to narcotics, which I won't get into here, but let's just say it's a bit of a toss up in the end as to whether they're even really worth taking at all.

So that's my story - I can't really leave the house or do anything, can't exercise, can't get groceries, nada. I have to be within 10 feet of my bathroom at all times, and I'm spending the majority of the day in bed.

Good times! This sums up how I feel about the situation (and probably sounds pretty close to what I actually sound like at times):




That goat totally sounds like a dude. Anyway.

Now on the positive side of things - when we went into Outpatient on Friday for an unscheduled visit (this was before the BK diagnosis when I just couldn't handle the pain), my counts still looked great. Everything was in (or near) normal ranges - staying nice and stable. So as much as this sucks and there's no telling when it will ease-up or clear-up entirely, I DO NOT HAVE LEUKEMIA and this is a good thing. I keep telling myself this - a killer, rampant, relentless UTI is still better than leukemia. So as crappy as I feel and as much as I want to scream and rip my (quickly growing) hair out (I don't really want to rip it out, it actually looks pretty cute), I have to remind myself that this will be over with eventually and life can go back to resuming some normalcy.

I just need it to happen sooner rather than later. Pretty please. :)


4 comments:

  1. Yea, I know that Goat. He works in the Tower at Van Nuys Airport! Talked to him on the radio hundred times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DUDE!!! If BK starts running marathons get me to the finish line quickly! He is FREAKY!!!
    Just like the virus named after him! Let's hope you are on the home stretch with this nastiness!!!
    But it does explain why you insist on $10 cranberry juice infusions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the BK dude. Best commercials in a long time....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you are dealing with the not so please toils of the UTI.

    - Julia

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.