Monday, July 13, 2009

I'm in remission!




And I quote (Dr. Smith): "You're in remission. Congratulations. Good job!"

My preliminary results show that my marrow is leukemia-free. The test that shows how much is my blood/my donor's blood won't be in until later in the week, and the cytogenetics test is still pending, too. But Dr. Smith said he doesn't anticipate any bad results, so I'm relieved for the time being. Let's just say it was a bit of a tense day - I thought I was going to hyperventilate/vomit while I was waiting for our appointment - we literally stared at the wall for over an hour while we waited for them to call us back. Now I'm going in on Friday to have my Hickman catheter removed, which will be really weird. It's been like, a part of my body, my security blanket, for almost 5 months.

But this is just the beginning - I've got a L-O-N-G ways to go. I'll be going in to Hopkins every other week (I think) for blood tests, just to have my counts checked and make sure everything is stable. This continues (assuming I stay stable) until my 6 month mark, November 15th, 2009, when I'll have my 6 month bone marrow biopsy. This is another big big milestone. Then of course there's the 1 year biopsy. This continues for 5 years - at the 5 year mark, they sort of consider you cured - a relapse after 5 years is very unlikely. Gus said they will never say "you're cured," but the 5 year mark is a big one.

So it's great news for now, but I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea as to whether I'm "cured" or not. I'm not. Hopefully I will be, eventually, and this is a good start, but I'm still just a baby (only 60 days old!) and I need to be super careful for the next year while my immune system recovers. This means no flying (on airplanes) for a while, wearing my mask in public for a while, avoiding crowds, being careful in restaurants (no un-cooked veggies, no raw sushi), not being able to be around kids, etc. I've still got to maintain the diligent hand-washing/Purelling and stay germ and infection-free! So far, so good!

So that's my news. I'm trying to relax and enjoy the good news, but at the same time, remain realistic and cautious and remember that I've got a long way to go. It would be so easy to become complacent and just return to life as normal, but that won't happen for a while!

9 comments:

  1. Mazel Tov! That is amazing news and I (George and Gracie) will continue to keep everything crossed so things keep going according to plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATULATIONS! That kinda news sure makes a ya feel good & on top of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess - this is the best news possible right now. I know you are going to take the best care of yourself while getting back into your life.
    SUPERSTAR!!
    Much Love
    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!!!! HOW FREAKING EXCITING!!!! I knew all along that this is what would happen and I also know you will make it to your 5 year mark. You see I have this special power to see into the future!!!! Girl, relax a little but just don't stop wearing that mask in public....people are dirty and it is not worth it. This is just so exciting. You made my week, my year, my life!!!! So happy for you and Gus. I hope that you are both able to breath a little sigh of releaf. You both deserve it. Love you both. WOOHOO!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. jesslove - can you hear me shouting over here in Ohio??? I am thrilled for you. Go do something fab for yourself to celebrate...mani, pedi, new shoes, all the above!! Love and hugs to you!

    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jess,

    one word, two syllables: AWE-FRICKIN-SOME!

    Wait, that's four syllables. Let's try that again.

    one word, two syllables: FANTASTIC!

    Crap, that's three syllables.

    Anyway, you get the point. That is some awesomely brilliant news!

    Since you are on a no-airplane policy for now, maybe I will visit you before you get to visit me. But meanwhile I think you should relax and enjoy this important milestone and reflect on what you have achieved with your strength and courage and great attitude. Then continue mastering this whole process with the rational and realistic approach that you have taken.

    Lots of love,
    -Surrogate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Congrats on having officially beaten cancer. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations again Jessica! You are too much. I'm so proud of you and so envious of your strength and courage. I hope you can relax and enjoy yourself now since you certainly deserve it.

    Love always, Cousin Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mazel Tov Jessica. Very happy for you! Will continue to check in and see how you're doing.

    Regards,
    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.