The dude in radiology who removed my Hickman stuck some big clear dressing on my Hickman site (over some gauze), and I have no idea what this stuff is made of, but when I removed it tonight to put on a new dressing,
my skin came off with it. This does NOT feel good. And they sent me home with the WRONG dressings, which I'm allergic to. Anyone who has used medical tape knows it doesn't stick too well - I now have a little waterproof BandAid over the Hickman hole and a bigger waterproof BandAid (BTW, thanks, BandAid, for making your "waterproof" bandages completely water-permeable and unable to seal properly to the skin, good move on that one) over the quarter-sized patch of MISSING SKIN under the Hickman wound. Class act. I love how something that's supposed to make my life EASIER and MORE ENJOYABLE (i.e. catheter removal) has me up at 1am furiously blogging about skin-ripping wound dressings. Mother of PEARL!

The most important thing here: I don't have cancer anymore. I realize that. These are "petty torments", as Dr. Levis would put it - stupid crap I have to put up with in order to achieve my end goal, which is to be cancer-less. But I'm also skin-less, so I'm a bit peeved.
I'm also full of 2 Amy's pizza and risotto balls (and a Rainier cherry crisp that I made), and really need to go to sleep.
Peace-out.
How big is your hickman wound? As band aids and I go waaaaaaaay back, and I am around water quite a bit, I would recommend NexCare's waterproof tatoo band aids.....bandages. They work really well, and they don't remove skin....and who wouldn't want a Finding Nemo tatoo on them anyway?! Liquid bandages work pretty well too, but don't get the "New Skin" brand. It's stinky, and it stings! There's a spray-on one that works pretty well, that might be good once you're further healed up. And there is my rant about bandage-like things :) But really, the tatoo ones work well, and you can get them in pooh bear too!
ReplyDeleteHmmm....are you practicing for your "Chicago-style" diet? pizza, risotto balls, and cherry crisp????
ReplyDeleteIf so...YAY!
*8^)
Oh my gosh! I'm just imagining that with my hickman and the horror! Hope you can get that properly covered. BTW love 2Amys and their risotto balls too.
ReplyDeleteJonathan
Wendy - Thanks for the recommendation. I love NexCare, they're way better than Band Aid! I'll check out the tattoo variety.
ReplyDeleteGeorge - YES.
jw - It's healing pretty well. The Hickman wound is painless and super tiny, it's just the removed skin patch that hurts! It's weird, I kinda miss the Hickman - it was like a part of me. It's weird not to flush it every night. And 2 Amy's - gets me every time. Those risotto balls are MAGICAL.