Go to http://www.marrow.org/JOIN/index.html and click on "Join Now". Continue the application until you are prompted for a promo or coupon code (I haven't seen the actual application, so I'm not sure when this happens in the process), and then enter:
CM729
Like I said, I'm not sure if this will actually work, or if there's a limited number of free kits that they're sending out, or really what the deal is, but even if the promo code doesn't work it's only $52 to join (I say "only" like it's pocket change, but I do realize it's expensive). And if all else fails, you can join for free at a marrow drive near you. Go to http://www.marrow.org/JOIN/Join_in_Person/index.html and enter your zip code in the box and click "find a drive" and it will show you all of the marrow drives in your immediate area.
BMT - it's not just a sandwich anymore (you know, Basil, Mozzarella and Tomato)! Tasty, tasty BMTs!
In other news, no news! I feel better every single day - we've been cooking, taking evening walks (the fireflies are coming out, very cool), seeing friends, and getting our lives back to normal at home. My counts are great and everything looks like it's coming along well. My biopsy is this Thursday, and then I have an appointment with Dr. Smith on Monday - I don't know if my results will be back by then, but I guess if they're not I'll just go in again later in the week and see him or my nurse practitioner for the good news (because it's GOING TO BE good news). Yeah I'm nervous for the results - if there's anything I've learned from this whole experience it's that you NEVER KNOW what's going to happen next. But I just don't see how I can be feeling so wonderful and have such great blood counts and NOT be rid of the stupid leukemia.
So that's it - I haven't been blogging lately because I really don't have any news, and I also have apparently run out of funny and/or profound things to say. :) I have a few pictures to upload, but bless Verizon's heart - their network does NOT work well in our house and I can't send the photos to my email. So they'll have to wait.
Daisy Mae and Fitzy send shout-outs to everyone, they're really happy to have their mama back in bed with them.
That's all I've got. I'm peace-ing out!
ETA: Please see Lynn Treadwell's comment below - she clarifies the Be The Match registration process and explains the fees. Thank you Lynn!
BMT - it's not just a sandwich anymore (you know, Basil, Mozzarella and Tomato)! Tasty, tasty BMTs!
In other news, no news! I feel better every single day - we've been cooking, taking evening walks (the fireflies are coming out, very cool), seeing friends, and getting our lives back to normal at home. My counts are great and everything looks like it's coming along well. My biopsy is this Thursday, and then I have an appointment with Dr. Smith on Monday - I don't know if my results will be back by then, but I guess if they're not I'll just go in again later in the week and see him or my nurse practitioner for the good news (because it's GOING TO BE good news). Yeah I'm nervous for the results - if there's anything I've learned from this whole experience it's that you NEVER KNOW what's going to happen next. But I just don't see how I can be feeling so wonderful and have such great blood counts and NOT be rid of the stupid leukemia.
So that's it - I haven't been blogging lately because I really don't have any news, and I also have apparently run out of funny and/or profound things to say. :) I have a few pictures to upload, but bless Verizon's heart - their network does NOT work well in our house and I can't send the photos to my email. So they'll have to wait.
Daisy Mae and Fitzy send shout-outs to everyone, they're really happy to have their mama back in bed with them.
That's all I've got. I'm peace-ing out!
ETA: Please see Lynn Treadwell's comment below - she clarifies the Be The Match registration process and explains the fees. Thank you Lynn!

I actually signed up and the code was automatically loaded in for me. I got my swabs yesterday and I'm sending them back today.
ReplyDeleteI know a friend of a friend who was just diagnosed with AML. He doesn't have a match yet. They are holding drives for him in Baltimore and the DC area.
Everybody should get swabbed!!!!
We have a lot in common: cancer survivor and sleeps with cats!
ReplyDeleteAnd as a Be The Match employee, I wanted to thank you for raising awareness and to provide some context to your post about joining the Be The Match Registry.
The total cost to add a new member to the Be The Match Registry is about $100. This includes the testing needed to match donors to searching patients and related costs.
Our staff circulates codes like the one above to ensure that, when one joins online, the costs are covered -- while funding associated with that code is available.
However, there are not always enough funds to cover everyone, so sometimes new members are asked to pay some of the registration costs when they join. This tax-deductible contribution makes it possible for more people to join in the future -- and help more patients!
Stay strong, Miss Jess.
Lynn Treadwell
Thanks for the skimmies! I'm gonna request a kit today. LOVE YOU!!!
ReplyDeleteVal - I hope they can find him a match soon, let me know the details on the drives and I'll post them up here and circulate them at Hopkins.
ReplyDeleteLynn - Thank you so much for clarifying the process and for posting on my blog! How did you find me? I was really excited to see your post!
Mamfa - LMFAO Love you too!
Google Alerts. I cannot imagine a world without Google! Let's stay in touch. You can find me on facebook at www.facebook.com/lynntreadwell
ReplyDeleteWelcome Home Jess!
ReplyDeleteHope you are thoroughly enjoying yourself at home with your kitties. They must be so incredibly happy to have their mama back with them. I know Shadow does a little puppy dance whenever I walk through the door -- even if I've only been outside watering for a short while.
Take good care, Cousin Peggy.
Welcome home, Jess. We miss you on Saturday mornings...our group is a little smaller with a couple of new faces, and we miss your smiling face. Can't wait til you come back to us!
ReplyDeletePopsy - I miss you guys, too! I will be back as soon as I can, please say "hi" to everyone for me.
ReplyDelete