I drove and everything! This is kinda monumental; it's the first time I've driven alone or, for that matter, done anything alone since early February. And the Celine Dion song is sad, but I'm not, I just thought it was nice, cheesy fun. :)
I'm trying to eat more organic vegetables now that I'm home and can cook every day, so I have some interesting meals planned this week. First of all, it's tomato season, and I LOVE tomatoes, but we don't get the most wonderful tomatoes out here. The best tomatoes I've ever had while in MD were from a roadside stand on the Eastern Shore, and it's a bit far to go for regular tomato purchases. So I got some local tomatoes at Whole Foods and I'm optimistic. This is what we're having this week:

Pita Salad with Tomato, Cucumber, and Herbs
Farro, Avocado, Cucumber and Cherry Tomato Salad
(well, farro was $9.99 for a tiny bag at Whole Foods, so I still need to buy farro)

Linguine with Tomatoes, Baby Zucchini, and Herbs
And I've been a fruit crisp maniac (so has Gus) since 4th of July when I made that blueberry crisp for the first time - we've made it once more since then, plus a Rainier cherry crumble. I bought more local blueberries today (they're so delish and juicy right now), and we're making another crisp. This is crisp/crumble #3 in about 2 weeks. The cherry is good, but the blueberry is AMAZING. With Gifford's vanilla bean ice cream (or Häagen-Dazs). Mmmm.

Blueberry Crisp à la Mode

Rainier Cherry Crumble

Blueberry Crisp à la Mode

Rainier Cherry Crumble
But tonight we're having good old fashioned junk food - patty melts! The recipe calls for beef, but we make it with ground turkey, of course. ;)

Patty Melts with Grilled Onions

Patty Melts with Grilled Onions
I'm on total food overload - I love being home.
ETA: I'm finding that buying organic fruits/veggies isn't that much more expensive than regular stuff, when you buy what's in season. So tomatoes and blueberries and cherries are cheap right now, but asparagus - not so much. That's my lesson for today. Organic dairy is absurdly expensive, but still worth it.
And Marietta, this is for you - completely unrelated to food, but you know what it's for. :)
ETA: I'm finding that buying organic fruits/veggies isn't that much more expensive than regular stuff, when you buy what's in season. So tomatoes and blueberries and cherries are cheap right now, but asparagus - not so much. That's my lesson for today. Organic dairy is absurdly expensive, but still worth it.
And Marietta, this is for you - completely unrelated to food, but you know what it's for. :)

I can't believe this is the first time I'm posting on your blog, and is it about your FREAKING AMAZING remission news or anything else? No, it is about food. : )
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I just had to say that I made that Linguini, Tomato and Zucchini recipe recently and it was really easy and tasty. Shane thought it had a little too much garlic but I didn't think so at all.
Miriam - Is there such a thing as too much garlic?! Hugs to Shane and Kiera!
ReplyDeletehe was so doing it too! but to yo gabba gabba!
ReplyDeletei am now very hungry