I have normal people counts! Well, for the most part. Here's the goods:
6,140 total white blood cells (normal people have 4,500-11,000)
4,175 neutrophils (normal people have 1,500-7,800)
90 platelets (normal people have 150-350)
30.4 hematocrit (normal people have 36-46)
I'm making platelets - which is really weird, because platelets are usually the last thing to recover. I haven't needed one transfusion since I've been discharged - which means my body is making its own cells, which is really good. I'm coming up on day 30 (actually I haven't been keeping track so I may already be at day 30) which means I've got a big blood test - they're going to see how much of the blood in my body is mine and how much is my donor's. The goal is 100% donor blood. I'm nervous - they take the blood and then the test results take a WEEK.
No solid signs of GVH yet, either - today I had a weird rash on my hands and torso, but it doesn't look like a GVH rash, so the doctor who examined me is thinking it may be the Bactrim they have me on. So I'm stopping Bactrim for now to see if that takes care of the problem, and if so, they'll put me on another antibiotic.
Otherwise no news - which again, is good news. I'm having some GI issues (I'm not getting into details), and I get really tired easily and sometimes have a bit of nausea, but for the most part, I'm doing really well. I'm having a hard time maintaining my weight (never thought I'd say that), but I'm eating a lot so hopefully that'll even out soon.
That's it! I'm still in my hermit mode, so don't be insulted that I'm not returning phone calls and I'm really behind on emails - it's not you, it's me. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

JESS!!!! Those are all wonderful counts and I am so so so happy to hear about them. I am glad you are out of the hospital. Alan and I send our love. The apprentice appreciation celebration is tomorrow and you made it into the slide show for sure. We all miss you and love and are sending you good vibes all the time!
ReplyDelete_Julia
Glad to hear the good news!
ReplyDeleteHey, did you see this? http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/10/AR2009061001139.html?wprss=rss_metro
Trying the link again click here.
ReplyDeleteThere, that's better...
Hey Jess,
ReplyDeleteHermit-mode or not, I love the counts! You're normal in the most awesome way possible. Fingers crossed for the big 30-day test.
Love,
-Surrogate
Platelets already- You are doing amazing! We're so glad to hear it. We joined your Light the Night team, Imagination Domination. Should be lots of fun!
ReplyDelete-Sarah
You are just nauseous because they let that skank stay on So You Think You Can Dance. At least the chick could have worn a NICE bra.....
ReplyDeleteDon't worry...its not medical...its TV
"Almost normal" is the best many of us can ever hope for.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the fine work, Jess's platelets!
aren't they all skanks? (SYTYCD)
ReplyDeleteyeah jess!!!!!!!!!!! i am so happy for you....KP got into nursing school...i took my tst on wednesday...wow! i am not sure what i was thinking! keep the counts going!
Great to hear your news!
ReplyDeleteGreat numbers. As for the Bactrim, Sarah is allergic to it too- gave her a rash! As for your eating and appetite, I'm doing enough for both of us. Take care.
ReplyDeleteLove, ---Cousin John[ny]
Awesome news!!! I am so happy for you.
ReplyDelete