I'm going home tomorrow! Unless something super weird happens at IPOP tomorrow, yours truly will be spending her last night in family housing tonight. I'm so excited! I can't wait to see the babies and to make dinner in my own kitchen; the best part will be that I can walk around our neighborhood without fear of being shot or run over (gotta love Baltimore).
So yesterday Em and Gus and I went to the Inner Harbor to get some exercise and fresh air. It was my first "fun" outing - I'd only done Whole Foods runs up until then. Anyway, it was SO nice outside:
and we walked around the waterfront and went to Barnes & Noble and had dinner at Cheesecake Factory. We even happened upon a hat store and I got a new hat for my huge bald head. I'm still really paranoid about being out, and I wore my mask most of the time, but it was so nice to feel like a normal person again. I was scared to eat at Cheesecake Factory because it's always so crowded, but one of the waiters found a nice table for us outside away from everyone else, so I could take off my mask and enjoy myself. When I thanked him for being accommodating, he mentioned that he understood - he has a friend with AML who is currently being treated in IPOP! I won't get into details about his friend, but it was just nice to talk to someone who understood why I was being so paranoid and careful. He even had a shaved head in honor of his friend. Very cool. Anyway, here are a few photos from the evening. I ordered a miso salmon - it was really delicious. And massive, like all Cheesecake Factory portions:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






you look fabulous in your hat!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations.
ReplyDeleteI'm jealous about the Cheesecake Factory and how bald works for you. We hit Calif Pizza Kitchen tonight; Cheesecake Factory would have been better and more fitting in your honor. When I was without hair, looked like the PDB (Pillsbury Dough Boy); and if I put on a hat, I looked like the PDB with a hat. When I run into someone going thru chemo around town, it's like running into a brother or sister; I try to tell them to hang in there and see the treatment work (especially their family). I bet it'll be more strange not being at family housing and IPOP, than being at home. You truly have earned an easier time and constant smiles.
Much love,
---Cousin John[ny]
Hey Jess,
ReplyDeleteit was just really awesome to just wake up in the AM (Munich time) and see this post, because it is just great to read about/see you having so much fun and such a positive experience outside of IPOP. What a great start to your life outside the hospital. Regardless of how you accessorize (hat, mask, glasses, no accessories), you luck damn slick and I couldn't be happier for you. Funnily enough, I have been to Baltimore ~ 3 times in my life and I had a good time at the Inner Harbor every single time. Glad it was the same for you this time.
And of course, your "Invisible Man"-comment (and pic) got the old Queen song stuck in my head. Apparently, I can't post youtube-links in these comments, so I sent you an e-mail, so you can get the song stuck in your head, too.
Lots of love,
-Surrogate
Yay! Lots of yay! Love the hat, too!
ReplyDeleteJess - you wear that hat, glasses, and mask out in public and you will gets lots of requests for autographs because you look like some movie star who is incognito!
ReplyDeleteWay to go girl - welcome home!
Love, Aunt Myra and Uncle Don
Not bad for possibly being a man inside..... And your head isn't huge.....you should see my nephew...and he's only 7....
ReplyDeleteSo good to hear the news!
ReplyDeleteIf you were in L.A., you could start a big-hat-surgical-mask trend.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteScorpion WINS!
ReplyDeletehttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/04/MK1Scorpion.jpg
Or, if you prefer:
Sub-Zero WINS!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a9/Sub_zero_mk4.gif