Tuesday, September 15, 2009

120 Days

Well...........it's officially my 120 day birthday today.





I'm 4 months old! Gus and I are having a hibachi lunch with Valerie today, which I think is apt because I had hibachi on the day I was told I was in remission. So it's happy-happy all-around! I've been steadily getting more and more nervous about my impending (that's a horrible word, "impending") 6 month biopsy on November 15th, but I need to get over it because spending the next 2 months in agony is just stupid. But I am nervous. I'm only getting my blood drawn every 2 weeks or so, which is what my doctor wants, but it still makes me really anxious to only be tested twice a month! I'm used to frequent testing, so it's difficult to not get nervous before each test.

In other news, I had Fruity Pebbles yesterday! This is monumental because I don't think I've had them since...ever. I feel deprived - they're really good. I went to CaliYogurt yesterday, because apparently MD hasn't caught up with CA yet and the concept of good fat-free frozen yogurt is just catching on, so I finally heard of a place where I could get something resembling the CA stuff. The place was really cool-looking inside, and I must say the yogurt was pretty darn good. Really tart. So I get my cup, choose some yogurt (it's self-serve and you pick the yogurt and toppings and then pay by weight) - I went with honeydew and original - and then go over to the toppings bar. Well...I obviously can't have any of the toppings, because it's like germapalooza buffet style. I mean, there's a sneeze guard and I'm sure things are kept clean, but I'm not taking any chances. But the guy working there was so sweet - I wanted Fruity Pebbles and I asked him if he had any more in the box itself, and he brought me the whole box! So I poured out my Pebbles from the original box, therefore bypassing doom and the buffet tins. And was only $2.70. It was really good - I kind of want more already. And it's pretty, too!





I'm also planning my first-ever Rosh Hashanah dinner. I'm excited to try new stuff - it should be fun. It's just Gus and me, but I'm making a few things, just so we can try a bunch of stuff. I'm making:




Spice-Rubbed Roasted Salmon





Marcy Goldman's Majestic and Moist New Year's Honey Cake



Couscous with Golden Raisins, Pine Nuts, and Green Onions
(I'm substituting almonds for pine nuts)



And I'm going to attempt a challah - either apple honey or raisin - I haven't decided. So I'm excited to see what happens - I'll take pictures of all of it.

I have to go - it's hibachi time!

ETA: I may try this chicken recipe instead:




Apricot Glazed Chicken with Dried Plums and Sage



I'll admit - it doesn't look all that fantastic, but it sounds really good! I think I'd do half apricots and half prunes, though.

6 comments:

  1. I almost always have Fruity Pebbles on my tart yoghurt (interestingly enough it's the only yoghurt I can actually digest!). It's the best!!!

    Here is to 120 days of blast free living!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man the sugary goodness you have missed in your previous life....

    I actually always preferred Boo-Berry. The harder to find variant of Count-Chocula.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Great Grandma Kate was the finest challah baker around in her day. It would be very exciting if you had her "baker" gene.
    Love Ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's 10:20AM and I'm now hungry.

    My Dad makes a mean noodle-kugel, if you want I can track down the recipe.

    Also, Yogi-Berry in Cleveland Park is totally worth a try too. Green Tea yogurt with cantaloupe = amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy new year!
    i miss you! wish you could have come to ikea with katherine and me....:( lumch? soon?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.