$58.43
Eh, what can I say? The weather on Thursday (and on Wednesday) was horrible, like 40 degrees, raining, and windy. It was just miserable outside. Therefore, my strategy, which was to canvas the neighborhood and offices and get locals to come in, was THWARTED because by the time I made it down one block, my fingers were numb and I was getting soaked. No bueno.
BUT! I'd like to thank everyone that did make it out, and I hope you guys enjoyed the yummy food. It was really fun to eat lunch with everyone yesterday, just like being back at work! :) And $58.43 is better than nothing - it's enough for us to reach a total of over $7,000! WOOHOO! So next year we'll have to do more planning as a group, really get out there and get the community involved.
In other news - it's still equally nasty out today, so I decided some homemade bread and soup was in order. I decided on minestrone and no-knead bread (because, well, that bread is magical), and then I thought to myself, "Hmmm...why not make my own veggie stock from scratch?" I've never done this before. There were a LOT of ingredients, and it was time consuming, but it tasted really good. Too bad Mark Bittman's recipe says it yields a quart and it barely made 2.75 cups. Grrrr. But I had enough frozen store bought stock to make up the difference for the soup. And then came the minestrone - again, I used Mark Bittman's recipe, and um, let's just say I utterly destroyed the kitchen. I'll upload pics later, but we're talking bowls stacked in the sink 5 high, piles of chopped vegetables on the counter, spilled veggie broth on the stove, a pan, 2 pots, and a Dutch oven all cooking at once, utensils everywhere, etc. It was really fun - and the result is not bad. I don't quite think the ends justify the means here, and my next attempt at soup will be something like mushroom potato, a bit simpler. But in the end, I added some spicy Andouille chicken sausage (don't ask why I bothered making the soup vegetarian when I was adding chicken anyway), the chopped-up rind of a block of good Parmesan, and then some olive oil and shredded Parmesan on top. And with the bread and some Plugra, it was a really good dinner. Only took me 3 hours!
The walk is tomorrow - I'll upload lots of photos and maybe a video or two. This is assuming it's not raining so hard and so cold that I have to either leave or huddle in the car, but I'm optimistic.

Well, one of the people I emailed tweeted about it ... today. haha.
ReplyDeleteSee you tomorrow!
I REALLY hope the weather cooperates for you guys for your walk. Over $7,000! WOW. That is amazing. Where do I find the recipe for the no-knead bread? I've always loved bread. Only type I've ever made is banana nut.
ReplyDeleteI sent some of our 100 degree blazing sunshine your way and hope it arrived!!!
ReplyDeletei hope you had fun on your walk! congrats on raising the money!
ReplyDeletehaha funny bald story - i was out last night (sans wig) and an older man (60+) was EXTREMELY drunk & convinced i was a member of the cult of st baldus and that if he could kiss me, it would be good luck. he tried three times (i refused all three times) ad the third time he asked me if i would kiss him if he would push his dentures back into place...
oh, dear...
Dear Jess,
ReplyDeleteI stumbled across your blog by accident (I think I googled "GVH" and "itchy" or something equally appealing) and once I started reading, I couldn't stop. I had a BMT on February 24, I held a blog for the duration of my hospital stay, and I couldn't help but feel that we had really similar experience.
I don't know you (of course) but it makes me feel really good and hopeful that you are doing so well. I want to invite you to read my blog (sabrains.ca) and send me an email (if you're so inclined) at sabrains@gmail.com.
I feel like I relate to your story more than to anyone else's that I've read/heard about (and I've read looooots over the past year) and I would really love to get in touch with you somehow.
Sabrina